Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Strathmore Colored Pencil Paper- Reviews

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ocmd123

Has anyone played with the new kid on the block?? If you’ve tried the new Strathmore Colored Pencil Paper, please give us a review.
        Possible points to cover:

What is the surface like? Sanded, smooth, somewhere in between?
        Is it similar to another surface you’ve used?
        What do you normally use and how does this compare?
        Generally, did you like it? Would you use it again?

Thanks! If we get a good response here, I’ll archive it in the library for reference.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

I just got a big pad of it couldnt wait any longer ill try it out once i got an idea for a big piece

marksmomagain

It’s a nice paper for both graphite and CP, and I like it alot. Not my ultimate favorite, but I do use it quite a bit, mostly for preliminary work. It says ‘medium’ surface, but I find it on the smoother side. A nicely bright white color without being too cool or warm.

I can layer it up nicely ( usually 8-12in CP ) if I choose. If I wanted more, it’s certainly doable. It erases well and takes dry blending nicely.

Very nice with Powder graphite and PanPastels. I have also used it with FC PITT Big Brush pens (India ink) and Polychromos on top, and it performed exceptionally well; no feathering or bleeding through the other side.

Prismacolor, Luminance, Polychromos, etc. cp all take to it like butter. Cheapy brand Spectrum Noir covered it almost as well, even a little better than FC Goldfaber did. Koh-I-Noor Woodless good but Koh-I-Noor Tri-Tone not so good.

Derwent Graphitints covered it beautifully, however their XL Graphites just couldn’t seem to catch a good grip. Derwent Drawing pencils took right to it beautifully smooth.

FC PITT pastels and Conte left more white than I liked, but with equal effort, Cretacolor and my older Derwent Pastels filled much more surface. Stabilo Carb-Othello in the middle.

I would buy it again. I’d like to see it on rolls or in full sheets like Stonehenge, etc. Colors, too.

I normally use Stonehenge and Arches HP watercolor.

Hope this helps

Helps a ton thank you soo much for that in depth review

KaySilver

What a great review! Really helpful – thanks so much for taking the time to share your observations.

One query though – I’m familiar with both Stonehenge and Arches, so how would you compare the Strathmore with those, in terms of smoothness? Is it very much less smooth than Arches?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.