Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi I’m new to this part of the forum.
    This painting is 32″w x 23″h (my largest to date)
    I used mastik for 3D texture to create most of the den
    gesso to prime, acrylic over that and the underpainting
    and oil just for the coyote’s fur and features
    Any feedback welcome.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/09-Dec-2019/1985576-signature_images_b.jpg
    [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]websites | [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]sketchbook

Eraethil

Cool – and I’ve never even heard of mastik before. Tell us more!

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cyndi L

Sweet! And I’m with Rick…I’d like to know more about it too. I love the face. Thank you for sharing with us!

Thank you Rick and Cyndi,

Sorry I can’t spell. It’s “mastic” not “mastik” – used for ceramic adhesive and very inexpensive and easy to use and durable :heart: I got the idea from Gino Savarino’s tutorial on abstract painting. He owns his own gallery and hardware store so I figured he knows what he’s talking about, link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMHxS-0aqk

My work-in-progress story here: https://yvonnekeoghart.blogspot.com/2019/07/sleeping-coyote.html

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/09-Dec-2019/1985576-signature_images_b.jpg

Teddy

How a coyote would look after it’s latest meal! Enjoying looking into the process of your romantic and Germanlike piece. I grew up in the city with the highest coyote population in The United States. Always out at night, many haven’t seen them at all and especially without light shining on them.

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                ✶ 
                ✮ 
                ✧  
                ✶ 
                       ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                           teds

How a coyote would look after it’s latest meal! Enjoying looking into the process of your romantic and Germanlike piece. I grew up in the city with the highest coyote population in The United States. Always out at night, many haven’t seen them at all and especially without light shining on them.

Thank you. I’m just curious what you mean by “Germanlike”.

Yvonne, this coyote is spectacular! I thought Texas had the highest number of them but am probably wrong.

Not heard of mastic.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Cyndi L

So many products, so little time!!! Thank you :)

Teddy

I mean it looks like a German fairy tale.

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                        ✶ 
                        ✮ 
                        ✧  
                        ✶ 
                               ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                   teds

Teddy

And I bet Texas does (in state but I bet many aren’t in Huston.) Chicago has a prairie preserve in the middle of it, and I think that’s be the reason for most of the coyotes.

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                            ✶ 
                            ✮ 
                            ✧  
                            ✶ 
                                   ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                       teds

Thank you Kay :)

Thanks for the clarification GarageDoor – I would love to illustrate a fairytale book of some kind one of these days…

Teddy

You should!

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                                ✶ 
                                ✮ 
                                ✧  
                                ✶ 
                                       ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                           teds

Eraethil

Thanks for telling us about mastic!

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                    Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

tidal

Mastic and turps etcetc is like a comfort blanket takes me back to my childhood probably not good to sniff but hey..was allways around it my dad and his friends arts/craftsmen boat builders etc pretty sure this gum is on other products other than ceramic adhesive think its available in uk but don’t know about your country
                                        funily enough was thinking about using mastic the other day.I absoloutley love your work there is so much freedom to be had using mediums with more texture against/with pencils ..how is the medium for scraping carving did it give you enough time to work/manipulate it?

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Mastic and turps etcetc is like a comfort blanket takes me back to my childhood probably not good to sniff but hey..was allways around it my dad and his friends arts/craftsmen boat builders etc pretty sure this gum is on other products other than ceramic adhesive think its available in uk but don’t know about your country
                                        funily enough was thinking about using mastic the other day.I absoloutley love your work there is so much freedom to be had using mediums with more texture against/with pencils ..how is the medium for scraping carving did it give you enough time to work/manipulate it?

It’s available in hardware stores (used for ceramic tiles).
                                        Watch the YouTube video in the link I gave (above). It’s very easy to add texture of all kinds and to paint it afterwards for extra effects.
                                        It also dries very fast. I just accepted it as part of the painting lol.
                                        I did have a bit of a cracking issue where the wooden canvas beam on the back was pressing on the mastic area while it was drying (just a precaution).
                                        Thanks for your comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.