Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How do I paint a rainbow with Acrylics?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Selah

I have tried without much success, to paint a rainbow over an acrylic painting. Any tips?

The Greatest of These is Love

ribeyedsmile

there are probably as many answers as there are painters.

Alla Prima method will be very diferent than glazing.

First imagine clearly what you are after. Rainbows can be very faint and they can be striking.

Somewhat transparent would be a more realistic way. Your post seems to me to be about realistic. I suggest glazing in layers. Finish your sky down to the horizon and expect to repaint the tree after the rainbow.

There is an interesting thread about tinting strength: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217942

So the sky is a clear blue and you are gonna glaze over with 10-30 glazes. The dificulty will be in loading the glaze with pigment and tint so as to be transparent and very softly blended.

DO A PRACTICE PAINTING….a study. BEFORE you start. You may want to experiment with acrylic inks.

This is a learning experience and even the not so successful attempts will give valuable lessons in blending and glazing.

The biggest challenge is not to stain the sky like you might stain lawn furniture or fine woods. A dark glaze over a light background will reveal textures and brushsrtokes.

Practice loading with a touch of opacity (white?) or opaque pgments (see that other thread).

another totaly diferent way would be to paint the sky perfectly and stiple is the rainbow. or airbrush. Airbrush and stiple are doing the same thing except the method is different. Stiple brush is the epitomy of dry brush and requires practice at getting smooth effects as does airbrush.

maybe this is to much.

Stippling with good stipple brushes may be the easiest.

michael

[FONT=Arial]Michael Sherman

GardenMaven

I think I would paint the first two colors, then use an wedge or angle blending brush loaded with both colors, on opposite ends of the brush and pull it between the two.

“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” Twyla Tharp
                Sandi

susme48

Sent you a link in WOYE…Jerry Yarnell has a nice snippet on you tube…

[FONT="Impact"]♥ [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]§usan [FONT="Impact"]♫

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
                    "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
                    [/CENTER]
                    Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy

paznbaz

Hi Sela, as Michael said there could be a hundred ways. I the example pic of one of my earlier paintings I painted rays of sunshine. This was done with a round hog bristle brush with the required colour just lightly dabbed on the end of the brush and scrubbed off on a piece of card or palette, then with the dry brush very lightly brush in one stroke where you want that colour, repeat until depth of colour is achieved. I would add a touch of white to all colours to give a little opaque finish.
                        Example:

Good luck
                        Paul
                        http://www.acrylic-artist.com

noodle1

Think everyone approaches rainbows differently but there was a class on Clouds and here a bit about painting rainbows and their colors if you want to take a peek..no. 151 https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541156&page=4. No visuals but maybe you can get some info to help you along. :crossfingers:

I think you did fine with your rainbow, nicely done !!!

Elaine

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][FONT=Arial Narrow]Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
                            Florals/Botanicals,
                            Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.

Selah

Thanks so much for your help all! I will be checking the links. I definitely feel I’ll need to do a study or two to learn some techniques. Thanks again!
                                Selah

The Greatest of These is Love

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • The topic ‘How do I paint a rainbow with Acrylics?’ is closed to new replies.