WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Palm Beach County, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Using Projectors

The thing is, that even if an artist uses a projection method of some kind, the artist still must come up with a composition, a medium, have skills with paint brushes, color, and application. Choosing the subject matter also takes artistic skill.

If you take someone else's images or photographs and then project them, then those pieces should be labled as a copies. There's nothing wrong with copying another's work -- every day in the Louvre museum you have artists copying the old masters -- and no one bats an eye. But none of them claim the work as their own beyond demonstrating copying skills. In addition, it is a well-recognized learning tool.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Cedar Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, copying is a learning tool. However it is so irksome that many new artists are submitting paintings they copied from magazine, newspaper, and other commerical resources as their own work. I see borderline to out right copyright infringement in small town art shows all the time. Unfortunately most of the people running those shows don't know the difference or really care if the image is stolen. If the painting is of a so called celebrity 9 out of 10 chances are the image is an infringed copyright.

www.marcasue.com
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Hails from United States

Some people think that if you're not driving a stick shift, you're not really driving.

My father insisted I learn to drive using a stick shift. I was terrible at it. It destroyed my confidence and I didn't get my license for several years.

I finally got my license when I threw out my father's "expert advice" - as well as his framing of what is "really knowing how to drive" - and started using an automatic transmission car for my driving lessons.

I got my license 3 months after I started doing that. Because I needed to get somewhere, not to fulfill one person's ideal of what makes a "real driver." (Yes, I want to learn stick someday so I can steal someone's Maserati to drive a pregnant lady to the hospital, and feel sexy doing it. It's a good skill to have.)

As for projectors, I could never use them - seems like too much trouble. I do often use grids (actually, just grid points) especially for areas of a painting that really require realistic proportion (faces, etc). There are enough bad portraits in the world and I am happy to admit my current drawing limitations to anyone who asks. However, as I have gone along, I have relied on drawing via grid less and less and tend to just use them to make sure the "bone structure" of the composition is precise (diagonals and the like). The rest of the composition is sketched and/or painted freehand from a reference. But I see this as a step along the way to learning to paint from life.

As for stock photos... I could never bring myself to use them now. I take all my own reference photos. If it's not something I myself have taken, I don't want to use it; I need to have been in the place or presence of the subject to have any emotional feeling about what I want to paint about it.

Last edited by Flopka : 06-14-2009 at 11:00 PM.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks Larry
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Morris, IL

Hails from United States

I've begun getting back into my art and am now feeling really kind of subdued over this issue. If I want a better quality output, I do tend to use the projector. (I do have some issues with perspective and proportion when drawing freehand.) I do love to draw but find that I get frustrated if it isn't perfect. Deep inside, I feel like a cheater when using a projector. I think that has been reinforced a bit here. Methinks I need to get my drawing hat back on. I do use my own photos on the projector so it feels a bit less like cheating, but not enough to make me feel good about it. Sigh...