WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Lighting?

I realize that the lighting in your work area is very important. I wonder if mine is sufficient.

My current (I rearrange the house when the whim overtakes me) work space is in the livingroom next to the (large) doorway to the kitchen.

Because this house sadly lacks enough windows (and I like houseplants) my kitchen is lit with a two tube, 4' fluorescent over-head fixture. And, instead of normal tubes, I've got two broad-spectrum "grow" lights. I really like the light it gives off.

That's part of my "indirect" lighting....on the other side of me, in the livingroom ceilingfan I've got "Reveal" bulbs (supposed to be a better light).

My work light, mounted on a bookcase with an adjustable arm, also has a "reveal" bulb.

I've taken my paintings outside and compared the colors....there doesn't appear to be any difference.

The only difference I have noticed is when I'm photographing my paintings. I have better luck photographing them in my kitchen...with no flash, than I do outdoors. Photos taken outdoors of canvases often looked washed out, either that or unwanted shadows appear.

I'm assuming that my light is adequate. But I'm curious as to what y'all use.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast
San Diego County

Hails from United States
Re: Lighting?

I have a southwestern exposure in my room that I use as a studio. But I also always have my Ott light on, day or night.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

I have a 4'x5' northeastern window behind my painting area, but I also have my Ott lights on when I paint .
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Immortalized
Oregon Art Dork

Hails from Liberia

Wide brim straw hat with evenly dispersed candles on the brim. Seems to work ok.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend
Upper Michigan

Hails from United States

I have a north window and a cheap full spectrum light ($20 at Menards). I find taking pictures indoors on the south side of house make for decent pictures. I still have to photo shop a bit to add contrast and warmth. Whatever works, eh?

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

My studio area is in a large basement and I must rely on artificial light. My Ott light is a must but I also have grow lights in the background on plant shelves and regular incandescent lights overhead. It seems to work because I can't detect much difference, if any, when I take them outside to double check. Getting decent photographs seems far more difficult than doing the paintings!

Can't you just see Raymo with candles on the brim of his hat? Now THAT would make a painting worth sharing!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alberta, Canada

when you are taking pictures outside make sure you are not in direct light.. it will wash out the picture. I usually take my pictures on the sunny side of the house - but under the shade of the veranda.

for my work, I have two tall south facing windows (often with the blinds at least partially flipped up so the light doesn't shine right on my work area) and three flourescent bulbs.

My Website Calliope's Musing; My Blog Pencil Shavings; My ArtFire shop
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

yeah Ray - gives ye that warm glow, huh...
[and hot flashes whenever ye lean over...]