WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States
Re: Show Us Your Best Stuff, JUNE, 2019

Lorell....Lorelei lol, I swear it was a typo!!!

Dave, outstanding beautiful captured canna Lilly. I have yet to be satisfied with any canna lily shot from my camera. Yours is super!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Hails from United States

One more.... my best work so far on flying bees. Had to clean this one up a bit as the 2 strobes were set to high of power. I should have used 4 stobes set at 1/16 power to freeze the action. But it cleaned up ok, I think.

Hanging out at the Butterfly Bar

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 12:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Dudley. Sometimes you find yourself with a good subject and in the right lighting, and you happen to choose workable camera settings and later make good processing decisions - that makes it hard to mess up the photo.

I'd say the lighting on your bee shot is pretty darn good, and I really like how the amber of the bee works with the blue-violet of the blossoms. Nice capture and processing.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Dudley,
That is darn good and a real interesting way to shoot a bee. I especially like all the color against the black background. A seriously well planned composition with a successful outcome. I keep staring at the bee. I like the hot spots, it's like chrome on a fancy car. What was your shutter speed?
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:16 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2shoot
Dudley,
What was your shutter speed?

250/sec and that is the fastest I could go as the sync for the flash is 320/sec . The hotspots are from the flash being to long. at 1/16 full power the flash lasts about 1/10000 sec. The reason I needed 4. It would have been a tad dimmer and stop the action better I think. Now that I know that, I just need the bee to pose again.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Man, these are all showstoppers.
I've been trying do much more in manual mode lately.
This is probably the one I like best of what I shot in June...

Tim
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Tim, I think the exposure is so good on this rose. The red and greens are true to color too. Nice job. You should be happy with that.

I have done more shooting in manual lately but when I get busy with actions going on around me, I forget that I am in M mode and forget to adjust for the under/over exposure. It takes a while to get into the habit I suppose.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Very nice, Tim. The red/green interaction is working well here, and the rose is smack on one of the classic "hot spots" composition-wise.

I too have been shooting mostly in manual; yes it's easy to forget to check one's settings.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Thanks Lorell and Dave.
Fun and frustrating at the same time, but learning all the while.
Dave, I'll credit you with teaching the hot spots a while back with a thread you posted on the subject...........

Tim