Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Thursday 09 January 2020

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    damar

Greeting All!

Been cleaning image folders and thought I would process this one and post it.
        From a 2010 Fly-In.
        Vintage Stearman

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
        Photos are ©2021
        Anonymous

Beautiful plane, excellent photo.

Patty,
            That is so great. We had a plane like that which would land at the airport on the community grounds where are trailer is. It looks like the exact same plane. I recall the bottom of the wings looking like that. I wonder if I could find any photos of it that I might have saved.

The colors are so rich and bright. You got some nice sky going on there and you had a wonderful perspective.

Thanks for starting the daily.

LORELL

PS. I ya Dave.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

I’m back.

How about these wings?
            Taken at the Detroit Zoo this past Tuesday.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

damar

Thanks Dave and Lorell,
                Stearman were used by the army as trainers (and the navy)
                so they were painted in those colors.
                Sometimes yellow with blue details or blue with yellow details.
                There used to be 2 of them at the airfield my dad used to fly out of.
                One red, and one yellow. We always hoped the owners would be there and take them up when we went. (Usually every weekend during nice weather months)
                Love the sound of them.
                Your bronze bird is a nice display!

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                Photos are ©2021

Revised figures. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-09/nsw-bushfires-kill-over-a-billion-animals-experts-say/11854836

and that’s only NSW.

And from a calmer time in spring.

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/01/entire-species-wiped-out-australia-fires.html?fbclid=IwAR0Jmp6Syg-eSbgeUmpMquGy7D7VHuCrxmVVG5RIJ0MrcH9hq8oRQhOXtuI

Biodiversity on Kangaroo Island is expected to take a serious hit, with the K.I. dunnart possibly wiped out, as well as the Kangaroo Island subspecies of the glossy black cockatoo.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/08/twitter-bots-trolls-australian-bushfires-social-media-disinformation-campaign-false-claims

Bots and trolls spread false arson claims in Australian fires ‘disinformation campaign’
                Online posts exaggerating the role of arson are being used to undermine the link between bushfires and climate change

Bot and troll accounts are involved in a “disinformation campaign” exaggerating the role of arson in Australia’s bushfire disaster, social media analysis suggests.

The bushfires burning across the nation have been accompanied by repeated suggestions of an arson epidemic or “arson emergency”.

The false claims are, in some cases, used to undermine the link between the current bushfires and the longer, more intense fire seasons brought about by climate change.

The Queensland University of Technology senior lecturer on social network analysis Dr Timothy Graham examined content published on the #arsonemergency hashtag on Twitter, assessing 1,340 tweets, 1,203 of which were unique, published by 315 accounts.

“The conspiracy theories going around (including arson as the main cause of the fires) reflect an increased distrust in scientific expertise, scepticism of the media, and rejection of liberal democratic authority. These are all major factors in the global fight against disinformation, and based on my preliminary analysis it appears that Australia has for better or worse entered that battlefield, at least for now.”

There is no dispute that arson is a serious problem in Australia, or that arsonists have not been active in the current bushfire season. NSW police say they have charged 24 people with deliberately lighting bushfires this season.

But that does not detract from the clear scientific evidence showing climate change is making Australia’s bushfire seasons longer and more severe. The Bureau of Meteorology’s clear advice is that climate change is “influencing the frequency and severity of dangerous bushfire conditions in Australia and other regions of the world, including through influencing temperature, environmental moisture, weather patterns and fuel conditions”.

“Bushfire weather conditions in future years are projected to increase in severity for many regions of Australasia, including due to more extreme heat events, with the rate and magnitude of change increasing with greenhouse gas concentrations (and emissions),” the bureau says.

Claims about arson are not the only falsehoods being spread on social media. Other patently false claims include that the government has created the bushfire crisis to clear land for high-speed rail. Another absurd claim is that Islamic State is somehow responsible.

Who’s nuts?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-11-20/bushfire-ignition-source-how-we-know/11701132

What the release actually says is that legal action was taken against 183 people since November 8, 2019, for fire-related offenses, including things like improperly discarding cigarettes or not taking enough precautions around machinery, i.e. not arson. Legal action “ranges from cautions through to criminal charges,” according to NSW police, so not everyone is being charged with a crime. And not all of these penalties are for incidents linked to the wildfires.

It turns out that only 24 people are currently facing criminal charges for deliberately igniting fires in New South Wales, and even fewer have actually managed to start large fires. Remember that this is the number of people charged over the course of three months. There have been thousands of bushfires burning across Australia since September, scorching an area larger than West Virginia. As of Thursday morning, there were close to 150 different fires burning across New South Wales. Many of them are burning in remote, sparsely populated areas. So clearly this is not just the work of prolific pyromaniacs.

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/9/21058332/australia-fires-arson-lightning-explained

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.