Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting All I Want for Christmas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bobbymac

Oil on 12×16″ wood panel. Started in art group studio from life last December, finished this December from photo. Camera caught a little glare in the background which washed out the combo of phthalo green and indigo. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for looking. Bob

ilya K

Can’t imagine the background… But the warm colors are great!

Ilya K
            C&C always welcome

midwest

Very nice

Kathie :
                bhindi

It looks great! Why did it take you so long to finish?

MarcF

ooooooh (sound like shoe, not show)
                        I like it

Jeffro Jones

It’s solid work, Bob, well done.
                            My only concern is, the flowers and dress are robbing each other.
                            They are so similar, and so close together, do you see what I mean?

:::

midwest

What if there were a lost edge between dress and flowers?

Kathie :
                                Jeffro Jones

What if there were a lost edge between dress and flowers?

I *THINK* it needs to retreat to the background more, it might be competing too strongly with the figure.

:::

Ed Hopper

My eye is drawn to the blue thumbnail resting on the table. Thats a clue to whats wrong. But your onto something.

bobbymac

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.
                                            Ilya: The background color is a mixture of the the two favoring green to be a compliment to all of the red. Its pretty dark but not nearly black.
                                            bhindi: I put it away last year as a developed sketch. Pulled it back out late this November to finish it for a gallery exhibit at our art group.
                                            Jeffro: I agree that the flowers and dress compete. Softening the edges of the flower and dimming it down may be a solution.
                                            Kathie: Its hard to see in the photo but there are some red petals that are darker between the dress and the flower. Maybe I should have done more of that to bring that side of the flower into shadow.
                                            Ed: Yeah, the thumbnail is an issue. Its phthalo green and the highlight is a bit too much. Maybe a glaze over it will diminish it.

IronPawn

Nice one Bob!

Zoran

bobbymac

Nice one Bob!

Zoran

Thank you Zoran. Much appreciated.

kin3

nice. her expression make one think. What is she thinking about. a widow remembering what Christmas used to be like, lonely…

bobbymac

nice. her expression make one think. What is she thinking about. a widow remembering what Christmas used to be like, lonely…

Thank you kin3.

billmahler

Nicely done

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                                                                Winston Churchill.
                                                                http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.