WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States
Controlling dpi and size in Picasa

I need to submit some jpg images by email. The specifications are greater than 300 dpi and, when printed, have the long side no bigger than 6".

I use Picasa and have no idea how to accomplish this. If I crank down the dimensions to 640 (which would limit the output size), the dpi goes down to 150.

If I act as if I'm going to print at 4x6 and if the image began as the full sized one, it's 370 dpi. The problem is that I have not found a way to save the image in this configuration. The only way I found to save is at the print preview page and it required to save as bmp and it's the image of the whole page, including the white page.

Any suggestions?

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States
Re: Controlling dpi and size in Picasa

Or if you don't know about Picasa, do you know of another (inexpensive/free) program that will do this?

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northern Cal

Hails from United States

hi bonnie, i don't know how to control the dpi in picasa.
An alternate program which is free is "gimp". it's available for both windows and mac and it has a lot of features, probably will do what you need. there is a learning curve, tho...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

There is a very handy and simple program that I use a lot, not usually for editing pictures but for viewing them. It is called Irfanview. It is totally free and you can change an image size and resolution in it. Once you open an image in Irfanview, you can go to the menu - Tools>Resize/Resample image - and set a new size in pixels, centimeters or inches, as well as change the DPI. It may not be Photoshop, but it is free, quick and easy.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen