Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Look At Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    brissie

Lorikeet taken in my back garden about a year ago.
        A3 on Stonehenge Off White
        Mainly Faber Castell with a few Pablos and Luminiance
        Zest-it for blending in some areas
        Been ages since I posted a WIP but decided as this one is working out so far I would chance it. This Stonehenge paper is very nice but is better on works that dont require masses of layers. I have used it for botanical flower art and the colours are beautiful and have a clarity that’s lovely.
        I started working on the new Fabriano Paper but oh how disappointing it is. It is very inconsistent in taking layers of pencils. Sometimes its beautiful then suddenly it becomes blotchy or wont take any pencil at all. The colours muddy after a few layers as well as creating a grey streak as if I had used a dark grey pencil as an underlay.
        Oh how I miss their old paper!
        I have ordered a sheet of the Stonehenge Aqua and hope its as good as many say but even those botanical artists say nothing is as good as the old Fabriano Artistico.
        Still I will just have to get used to something, maybe even try the pastelmat again. I see lots of artist have gone that route.
        Grumble, grumble, heay haha

LoganArt

Your bird is beautiful, and I like the lighter touch in the plant.
            Good to know about the paper. I am using CP on Bristol vellum, it is not taking many layers very well and I’ve started a big project with lots of coloring left to go.

C&C always welcome
            Pingpongfan

You are so lucky to have these beautiful birds visiting your garden. I suppose you get used to having them around just as we get used to our bright red cardinals. You have made a beautiful job of the bird and the leaves so far. What is the name of the tree? Love the delicate flowers.
                Vena

brissie

Logan, I feel for you and know just how disappointing it is. Have you a can of workable fixative if so use it to give you more tooth to continue layering. I have seen a number of artists on utube doing that and tried it myself and it really helps a lot.

brissie

Oh Vena thanks a lot, the tree is called a Bottle-Brush and there are many varieties this one is a much bigger leaf one the others are smaller leaf or even very thin fine leaves. There are dozens of types and different coloured flowers from pillar box red to pale pink or cream. We have 4 different ones even a dwarf one which has gorgeous deep red flowers and the Lorikeets love the nector from these trees so we get lots of them all day.I love it.

monarch

This is looking great so far. I really like all the layers in the feathers.

C&C welcome and appreciated

Demera

This is gorgeous and I’ll look forward to seeing the finished piece.

I’ve only recently joined this forum but I love seeing all the Aussies that are on here. :wave:

frida

Gorgeous Bren!!! You are getting quite a touch with the botanical areas as well… Quite beautiful and accurate!

Would you believe I remember flowers similar to that Bottle Brush going back to the time I was a teen in South America? I don’t mean I am surprised about the years passed, but the distance between the countries in the world… :cat: I shall look for a photo I know I kept.

I am sorry about the paper problems so many are experiencing. I have the Fabriano Aquarello in a block, and liked it with CP. Of course there are size limitations with it.

The BG at the top is lovely, but take it easy with it, as the bird won’t appreciate the colour competition.

I am looking forward to see how you carry it on!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

brissie
                                        brissie

Hi there fella Aussie, although I live in Queensland Im a Victorian born and breed and do so miss the wonderful spring flowers and Autumn leaves.
                                            I look forward to seeing your posts in time too.:wave: :wave:

brissie

Hi there Raquel, thanks coming from you I will take those words with real pride. Yep the paper is a problem but so far this Stonehenge has worked well. I will need some time to really get used to it but have found it better than Arches which makes pin head dots of the binder that the polychromus use. I hat that look so dont know how others overcome it.
                                                Have a sheet of the Stonehenge Aqua to try will comment on it when I do my next drawing after a good weeks break from this one Lol

brissie

Update can see the light at the end of the tunnel yet still so much detail to do!

frida

So far I have decided the light is coming mainly from the top, according to the bird’s eye and the branches. In order to make it stand out from all the details of the foliage (you obviously don’t think about making your life simpler! :evil: :lol: ), it will need more texture contrast, by “tucking in” the most shaded areas of the feathers. And over all, look at it under poor lighting, or from a distance, so its three dimensional oval body tells you what it needs to really look 3-D! That will make your magnificent bird to dominate!!! :clap:

(WOW! I have to get back into it… :) I am just salivating seeing your great work, and I am serious!)

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

brissie

Thanks Raquel, yes still going back and forth have also added more form to the top buds and although I tend to keep clear of using black I decided it needed some on the lower belly of the bird. Im having difficulty getting the paper to take the amount of layers Im used to getting but am learning for next time how better to work it. 👍👍😊😊

brissie

Now at the stage where I need to go over everything and tidy up edges, add more value where needed & use splender-blender to get the pencil into the tooth. Usually by this stage Im feeling sad that my piece is coming to an end but this time I find I must school myself to go slow be patient and do as good a job as I can. Also need to add the bit of bird belly Id forgotten about haha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.