WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: May 2011 Challenge- Botanical/ Scientific Painting!

Ooooh, lovely and divine to see. I'd not change a thing!
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by samben84
Daylilies for my daughter Meghan. I was trying to figure out what to paint for this challenge when she called and asked me to paint her something for her new house. I've done a bit of painting with acrylics, but this is the first time painting in this style. Many layers, building colors, wiping out highlights... I had a blast.
Please C&C. I will be sending it to her sometime in the next month or so, so I have time to make a few changes. Thanks!
I don't think you need to change anything. It is quite lovely as it is. Is there some area you aren't sure about?

You might check the shadow edge of the stamens, especially the right most flower. It may just be the low resolution of the online image. The other question is whether their should be pistil/stamens on the two lower flowers. I don't have one of these in front of me to know when they fall out or shrivel into the flower.

If you have Photoshop or something equivalent, try looking at it there after converting the image to grey scale. It will give you a fresh perspective on your painting. Basically, it still looks very nice.

Doug
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM
WC! Guide
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States

Thank you, Kay! I admire your paintings immensely and I appreciate your comments.

Doug - I'm not quite sure. A general overall question, I guess. I'm thinking the stems don't stand out very much compared to the flowers, but in the original they are pretty bluey. I will definitely try the grayscale thing.

Speaking of the reference photo, I forgot to give credit for it. I got the pic from photographyofgrace.wordpress.com. They are free to use as long as they are substantially changed. I took pretty much just took the parts I wanted to use, rearranged it a bit, and ignored the rest. This is my reference photo. It was pretty confusing picking out the parts I wanted. I had to make sure everything stayed turned the same directions so as not to mess up the shadows, etc.

The two bottom flowers are not fully opened yet. It's hard to tell if there are any stamens, so I opted to leave them out. I may add a suggestion of some though. I don't want to just keep picking at it though.
Attached Images

Last edited by samben84 : 06-02-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Left something out
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by samben84
Thank you, Kay! I admire your paintings immensely and I appreciate your comments.

Doug - I'm not quite sure. A general overall question, I guess. I'm thinking the stems don't stand out very much compared to the flowers, but in the original they are pretty bluey. I will definitely try the grayscale thing.
The two bottom flowers are not fully opened yet. It's hard to tell if there are any stamens, so I opted to leave them out. I may add a suggestion of some though. I don't want to just keep picking at it though.
Seeing the reference photo, the stamens are either not visible or there is just a hint. I don't think you need to do anything. Greens are hard. The picture is more on the blue side but I think the leaf color can vary a lot across different day lilies. I'm not a watercolor person (yet). With colored pencil, I would experiment with a very light layer of blue or blue green on a sample of the color to see if it is easily toned down a bit but this color doesn't bother me.

To make the stems stand out, you could push the darks a bit along the edge perhaps with bits of complementary color or you might do a little darker on the right edge to move the highlight ever so slightly away from the edge. I would do all experimenting on a scrap of paper since you don't want to create a problem when there really isn't anything wrong. Futzing too much can definitely cause problems where none exist.

Doug
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

GKnight, lovely job on the orange, especially from life!

Sandy, your daylilies are beautiful! Wonderful glow and light! It's hard to tell from the pic, but the only thing I might look at are the closed buds in the back - in the ref photo it looks as tho they have a hint of color along the unopened edges... other than that, I wouldn't change a thing! Well done!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
WC! Guide
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Futzing too much can definitely cause problems where none exist.
You're right, Doug. I did touch up the stamens on the right flower, but I'm not ready to change anything else yet. I'll definitely keep all this in mind and rethink it in a few days.

Mary Lou - You are right about those buds. I actually tried a couple of times to add that other color, but it just didn't want to turn out right, so I just decided to let them be a less detailed, background part of the painting. Amanda, my older daughter, will be here in about a half an hour to pick up the girls, so I'll see what her first impression is. She has been checking the progress daily, but I mean her first impression on the final. Ok, now I'm just rambling...