Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity the real world, and my world

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

Hello – I’m a brand new artist (although I’m 67 and never had any instruction), and a brand new member of WC. I’ve already posted 4 works – my first 4 – all done in the past 2 months. My style is semi-realistic, and includes lots of detail and interest points other than the main subject. I am a draftsman – it was my profession in the ancient world – and I like to “get it right” technically on my drawings.

I want to share with you a thought that goes through my mind when I find an area of the drawing is giving me a lot of trouble, representing what I see – and I work from photographs – MY photographs before we get into that. When I have to depart from reality to simplify what I’m drawing/painting so I don’t sacrifice “correctness”…

… an aside; but correctness means the perspective and suggestion of the linework, which can omit detail when necessary but if the perspective or line is wrong, the drawing can’t be correct no matter what…

…when I’m in that situation (of having difficulty with a detail), my mantra is:
        the real world (meaning the photograph I’m working from), and my world (meaning the world I’m creating on my canvas). They don’t have to agree perfectly. The real world, and my world. I have this thought in my head more or less constantly as I paint and draw.

I’d like to hear thoughts that may help you. Strengthening thoughts and ideas, is how I term them.

MarcF

chamisa

You’ve nailed where the ART part comes in. That’s what makes art fun, inspiring, uplifting and motivating.

I am older also and was trained in art school for classical realism, and even spent a summer at Florence Academy of Art doing painting and doing sight-sizing drawing for hyper-accurate drawing skills. Plus workshops with artists like Tony Ryder who also teach precision and accuracy skills more than creativity.

I am glad I had all that instruction and learned those skills, but my art became boring and unsatisfying to me as I couldn’t loosen up and express any poetry or magic in my paintings. I became way too serious about accuracy with no confidence in my creative side. I might as well have just taken a photograph…..and I left art for a few years until I understood what was missing for me.

So you are asking the right questions and seem aware that there’s more to art than just good draftsmanship. You are fortunate to have that skill already, as many paintings suffer from the lack of it, and the long time it takes an artist to get accurate hand-eye coordination, measuring skills, perspective, etc….
            You are ahead of the game already with your skills and training, so let the “art” happen now!
            Good luck!

Robin

Hi Marc, welcome to WetCanvas and to the world of art.

I’m also a self-taught, late in life painter.

I’d just like to mention that photos aren’t “the real world” and the more you paint, the more you will see that. You will constantly be correcting the distortions of the camera as you paint.

And you will develop your own style, the more you paint. You might find that a looser style suits you, or maybe not, but it is worth it to play.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a painting class right now. It’s winter semester and you can get in wherever you are. A community art center is perfect, you meet other newer painters, and your art world will bloom. You will learn SO MUCH.

And paint, paint, paint. Every single day. It doesn’t matter what. Painting from life is great because you aren’t “fixing” the camera distortions as you go and can experiment with ALL of the aspects of composition.

The beauty of art is there is never an “end”. You never finish learning. And don’t be afraid of critiques. I just had a painting that was NOT working for me and I couldn’t figure out why. I took it for a crit to another artist and he pointed out what I couldn’t see. I started out in colored pencil and put all of my drawings up for crit there, and that helped me a lot. But you have to ask for it, otherwise you get a lot of polite comments.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, it’s fabulous!

Robin

MarcF

Hello and thanks for comments.
                    A photograph has distortion as well as chromatic aborations.
                    It doesn’t “see” the real world.
                    Neither do your eyes, for the same reasons and for many others.
                    The final test is, do I want or need it on the canvas.
                    Yes, it’s oil painting, not photojournalism.

My creative juices are not flowing, they’re gushing.
                    On my third oil painting now, and I’m starting to think less like a terrified dabbler who painted something appealing by accident, afraid to add a stroke for fear of ruining everything; and more like an artist, somewhat in control of the process.

Robin

I misunderstood your use of “real world”, as it applies to your photos, it seems.

Sorry about that, and for my other advice about classes and crits. I found them to be more helpful than reinventing the wheel myself for every single thing and for an experienced eye to point out where I could grow.

You seem very content and that’s wonderful! Enjoy!

Robin

MarcF

Oh, that’s ok. I asked for, and wanted comments. I think what you wrote is correct anyway- just that “real world” in my post refers to my photo. I sometimes have an abstract way of expressing myself.
                            As far as art classes- I acted on your suggestion- called the local senior center and they do have – but they didn’t have any instruction- only others painting- but I’m making fantastic progress on my own right now. I paint 16 hours a day. Others sometimes get in my way.

Robin

That’s wonderful! I can’t imagine painting that long every day. I get sloppy if I paint too long at a stretch or too much in a day.

By the way, I didn’t mean a senior center. I meant a community art center with an instructor. Something like this, that’s near me: https://www.mainlineart.org/adult-classes/

Or one attached to an art school, like this:

https://www.pafa.org/adult-programs/continuing-education-classes

Robin

hmshood5

I like to try and combine accuracy with a bit of impressionism. I mostly do space/spaceflight scenes, and while I strive for accuracy on spacecraft, I tend to be a bit more impressionistic on the surrounding scenery… but not everyone understands where I’m coming from. Take this painting of mine: I was praised for the rocket, exhaust flame, and launch tower, but got practically ripped a new one over the sky, water, and grass. My philosophy is that if someone wants 100% photorealistic precision, then they could get a photographic print. I like to take some artistic liberties, like the late, great space artist Robert McCall. He was spot on with his spacecraft, but very whimsical with the surrounding scenery.

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                    www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

hmshood5

P.S., Love your Mather. I love ships and ore freighters, and saw her when i was in Cleveland over a year ago!

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

MarcF

Hey that’s great!
                                            Also Thank you about the Mather.

Rachel

Good for you! I think art is for everyone, young or old, rich or poor, man or woman. That’s why art is so beautiful.

_______________________________________________

Hey guys! Rachel here! I love everything high-end and high-fashion. Recently, I am reading this designer’s blog in which she explains how high-quality imitation products are. I am surprised by the quality she shows. You can click here for this article.

John humber

Marc. My philosophy such as it is and for what it’s worth is almost the opposite of yours (I think). A little detail goes a long way.

I paint/draw mostly the local landscape, it’s a landscape I know very well and that’s important: I feel that I ‘understand’ it. I work from sketches made in the field and my little bit of art-blurb is that my work is about being in the landscape not a painting of the landscape. I feel that a painting is done when I can say to myself “Yes. I know that place”. Often the studio painting takes it’s own direction and may finish up being a different place from the sketch that generated it. The sketch is only a means to an end after all.

PLEASE how do I make these dreadful yellow things go away? OMG there's even more of the awful things now.

www.instagram.com/john_humber_artist
                                                    www.instagram.com/john_petty_letterform

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.