Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Cover paper for storage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sygnin

Hello! I have several pastel and charcoal drawings that I want to store. I was thinking of having an acid-free cover sheet over to protect them. I found this roll on Uline that I’m thinking may do the job. Has anyone used this product for storage purposes?

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-14605/Specialty-Paper/Glassine-Paper-Rolls-24-x-300?pricode=YD754&gadtype=pla&id=S-14605&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3JKOnNHc3QIVF7jACh3cawV1EAQYAyABEgJeovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Donna T

I use glassine for storing my pastel paintings and also if I ever need to ship an unframed piece. I secure it with white artist tape and if I’m careful I can peel off the tape without ripping the glassine. Since it’s a little pricey I re-use it as much as possible by wiping off any pastel from previous paintings. A roll should last you a long time.

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

I use plastic sheet protectors, they work great.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

sygnin

I use glassine for storing my pastel paintings and also if I ever need to ship an unframed piece. I secure it with white artist tape and if I’m careful I can peel off the tape without ripping the glassine. Since it’s a little pricey I re-use it as much as possible by wiping off any pastel from previous paintings. A roll should last you a long time.

Thanks! Do you know if the glassine picks up more pastel dust if the work has not been fixed?

sygnin

I use plastic sheet protectors, they work great.

Thanks! I have used these for smaller works but it seems like the charcoal sticks to the plastic. so I was thinking of putting a cover sheet on, then putting it into a plastic protector/envelope for storage.

Donna T

Thanks! Do you know if the glassine picks up more pastel dust if the work has not been fixed?

I can’t say for sure but I don’t fix my work with anything – at least not for the final layers. I’d rather take the chance on a few pastel particles coming off on the glassine than darkening or dulling my final layers with fixative.

Donna
                        C&C Always Welcome

contumacious

Glassine works OK when it is extremely flat and smooth, but it doesn’t stay that way very long. Any folds or wrinkles that show up all too easily will dig into the pastels and can really mess with your artwork. Once it has been removed a few times, it is no longer flat, plus it tears so easily you rarely can re-use it with good results.

The best cover sheet you can get from my experience is a glossy printing paper called Kromkote or something similar by another brand name. The glossy side goes against the pastel. It is substantially thicker than Glassine so it gives more protection from things bumping / rubbing against the painting on the outside, but more importantly it stays FLAT indefinitely if take care of. Most actual printing shops usually have some in stock. It is not very expensive. You can buy it online as well. I have tested silicone release paper, glassine, various plastic sheets and nothing protects better than this stuff. You can re-use it multiple times if you take care when installing /removing it from your work. I use removable painters tape wrapped around to the back to hold it in place. I have yet to have to throw any Kromkote sheets out and have been using the same sheets for years. When you change the cover sheet to a new painting, just wipe the shiny side clean with a soft cloth and you are good to go. The key to not disturbing your pastels is to immobilize the cover sheet so it can’t shift at all. This requires taping all four sides securely. Your painting needs to be perfectly flat on a rigid support for a cover sheet to perform. Nothing is going to work really well on loose sheets of pastel paper.

CarlyHardy

I’ve used Sennelier Oil Pastel Card in the large size. Each sheet has a glassine cover. I slip the pastel behind the glassine and tape to the sheet of paper and close the cover. No slipping.

I thought at one time I’d put a list on the front cover of the paintings stored…but I’m not that organized!

Dougwas

Depending on the size, you can store your pastel paintings in a pad of tracing paper. I fit the paintings right up to the glued part of the pad. Bulldog clips along the sides of the pad keep the paintings in place.

Having said that, the roll of glassine looks tempting. I would wrap the painting and tape the glassine at the back to keep it in place. This should stop any movement of the glassine.

Doug

SngnArtist

Glassine works OK when it is extremely flat and smooth, but it doesn’t stay that way very long. Any folds or wrinkles that show up all too easily will dig into the pastels and can really mess with your artwork. Once it has been removed a few times, it is no longer flat, plus it tears so easily you rarely can re-use it with good results.

The best cover sheet you can get from my experience is a glossy printing paper called Kromkote or something similar by another brand name. The glossy side goes against the pastel. It is substantially thicker than Glassine so it gives more protection from things bumping / rubbing against the painting on the outside, but more importantly it stays FLAT indefinitely if take care of. Most actual printing shops usually have some in stock. It is not very expensive. You can buy it online as well. I have tested silicone release paper, glassine, various plastic sheets and nothing protects better than this stuff. You can re-use it multiple times if you take care when installing /removing it from your work. I use removable painters tape wrapped around to the back to hold it in place. I have yet to have to throw any Kromkote sheets out and have been using the same sheets for years. When you change the cover sheet to a new painting, just wipe the shiny side clean with a soft cloth and you are good to go. The key to not disturbing your pastels is to immobilize the cover sheet so it can’t shift at all. This requires taping all four sides securely. Your painting needs to be perfectly flat on a rigid support for a cover sheet to perform. Nothing is going to work really well on loose sheets of pastel paper.

HI there :) Was wondering how to find this Kromkite or similar online. I tried looking but couldnt find it. Would you mind directing me?

SngnArtist

Also all I can find are 8.5 x 11 my papers are 9 x 12 and Kromkote seems to be out of business as well

contumacious

Any high gloss printing paper in “cover” or card stock weight will work. Kromekote is a brand of paper. I buy the white C/1S Cover Stock from my local print shop. It doesn’t have to be white, any color or brand will work as long as it is a high gloss surface on one side. High gloss papers are often referred to as a “chrome” finish which I think is where that brand name comes from.

Despite reading that it was being replaced with something called Mohawk Kromekote, http://lewispapernews.com/mohawk-kromekote-replacement/ I was able to find several places that had it in stock with Google. Before spending money on a pack of it, you might call some printers in your area (not copy centers, actual printers who print on offset presses) to see if they have any high gloss heavier weight cover stock papers to try out first.

These guys have several sizes of Kromekote in stock – 23 cents each for an 18×12 in a 250 pack.
                                                https://www.thepapermillstore.com/kromekote-white-paper-18-x-12-in-10-pt-cover-glossy-c-1s-250-per-package.html

Several sizes are offered on Amazon and other sites.

contumacious

The best cover sheet you can get from my experience is a glossy printing paper called [COLOR=”Red][B]Kromkote [/B][/COLOR]or something similar by another brand name.

Sorry about spelling the paper name incorrectly. It is KROMEKOTE.

You will want a cover or card stock rather than a thin sheet so that it remains flat. I will never use glassine again after having used this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.