Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art HMNZS Wellington

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    faminz

Not a plane (Im sorry a bit!) but I have a commission to complete 3 New Zealand navy ships (Wellington, Southland and Te Kaha) so have started F69 (Wellington).
        Its been a while since I got ninto the paint as I retired 1st April and have really only just surfaced from the craziest busy month!
        My advice to potential retirees is .. DONT! unless you have allowed for needing twice the work energy to fit everything you need to do into a day!
        My wife has a list every day.. I wish I could find the source document for that and hide it!
        anyway here’s a start at Wellington, very rough at the moment but should start to get more and more detail soon..

Don, I see youre getting into seascapes now (and very nice too) Im going to need some feedback on my sea as it gets more detail.. all those little waves fading into the distance and the rolling of the wake! Dark or light colours first?

gollum

Watching with anticipation :thumbsup:

Trumper

Thats powerful already :)

Sparticus

Great start!

https://spartidesign.myportfolio.com

vegaskip

Don, I see youre getting into seascapes now (and very nice too) Im going to need some feedback on my sea as it gets more detail.. all those little waves fading into the distance and the rolling of the wake! Dark or light colours first?[/QUOTE]

Going by your HMNZS CANTERBURY it should be you dishing out advice!.
                        Jim

Gray539

What a great start, faminz.

NeilF92

Looking good alreadory.

Shamrock15

Very energetic start. I would resist the urge to super detail on it as it may diminish that energy.

D'Arcy MacEachern
                                    seatoskyart.com

falcon012

Great start and I love the perspective. Looking forward to seeing it evolve.

faminz

finally managed another couple of days painting (well I say days but more like 3 – 4 hrs in total)!!

Admittedly very similar perspective to the Canterbury but seeing as its for the same chap Im thinking consistency is good!

Amazing how the sea starts to come together with apparently random brush strokes based on a black and white reference pic!

faminz

done bar final glazing..
                                                what do you all think? Anything obvious Ive missed? (the commissioner served on her so….)

Ps this is a simple photo taken with my SX50HS Canon inside under white fluorescent lights and rezized to 700 pixels wide., so a bit fuzzy..

vegaskip

Excellent, certainly looks like a Leander Class Frigate. Sea is well painted too.
                                                    They should be happy with it, but don’t be surprised if they come up with some detail they know about, that you don’t, unless you served in the ship. I have had ‘Oh!,our Whaler was painted yellow from 1962!’
                                                    Jim

Trumper

As a painting i think it is fabolous but as Jim says the people who served would see things differently.The final yes should be something to be proud of.

faminz

Thanks for kind comments.. This is the final scan.. Now to box it up and get it away… (and now on to the Southland!)

NeilF92

Turned out well !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.