Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Stone carvers, where to you "find" your stone?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick T

I live in Limestone country, Southern IN. Many stone mills allow masons and carvers gather odds and ends at 1 cent per lb, $20 a ton. They have a lot of 1-1/2 to 3 inch slabs. We can get grey and buff. In the attached, is buff on top and gray on bottom.

I’m looking to work with marble and hope to find mills that are open to masons and carvers. Ideally Vermont, Alabama or Yule marble.

Any carvers know of marble mills friendly to carvers? Or old abandoned mills?

ArtsyLynda

Beautiful work! I don’t have any suggestions for you, sorry. I know you can get stone from sculpt.com (The Compleat Sculptor) but you have to pay for it.

Have you Googled your question? You might find something that way.

CinderellaG

I have never carved in stone. But I did want to say that there are at least 2 Marble quarries in Marble Hill, GA. I don’t know if they are friendly to carvers but you could call them Its in North GA about an hour and a half from Chattanooga TN.

Cindy G.

musket

Vermont marble is not a problem to find, but you might have to get to Proctor, VT to get some.

However, you can try getting in touch with these people.

https://www.vermontmarbleandgranite.com/marble-samples/%5B/URL%5D

I know there’s a place in Proctor that sells raw marble but I haven’t been there in twenty years and can’t remember the name.

If you’re looking for Carrera and such I second The Compleat Sculptor, but be prepared to lose your shirt on outrageously high shipping and handling charges.

Boafamily

This is lovely.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.