Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Polychromos set for travel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Macarona

hi:) ,
        I would like to put together a small set of my Complete Polychromos set, because I will soon be on vacation.
        The whole set would be too much, because I will also take other artist materials with me.

I paint and draw almost everything except portraits.
        I do not want to limit myself too much what I can draw.
        It should be 30-40 color pencils allround set. can you please help me?
        I also want to draw a few Cretan landscapes, so a few natural shades would be quite good.

I did not want to build the finished 36 set, that seems to me to have been put together hilariously.
        There are also many who do not like the color scheme in this set well.

Thanks in advance :-)

kind regards Macarona
        Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
        Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

KaySilver

I can tell you which I’d take, but everybody has their own style, their own favourite colours and mixing/layering combinations, so my choices (or anybody else’s) might not be ideal for you.

It’s probably best to first select all the pencils you use most often normally, then see what you need to add.

Here’s some choices I would include (but they might be completely wrong for you!) I do all natural subjects (botanicals, birds, insects, landscapes) so my choices reflect that.

Basics:
            Cream, Ivory, ‘white, Sepia, Black, 2 warm greys, 2 cold greys (total 9)

Shading colours: Dark Indigo, Red Violet, Mauve (total 3)

Natural-looking greens:
            Earth Green Yellowish, Chrome Green Opaque, Chrome Oxide Green, Green Gold, May Green, Permanent Green Olive (total 6)

Earth Colours:
            Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Light Yellow Ochre (also great for shading brighter yellows), Burnt Ochre (total 5)

Primaries:
            Cad Yellow Lemon, Cad Yellow, Dark Chrome Yellow. Lighter and darker shades of cool+warm reds and blues. (total approx 11)

Secondaries:
            Cadmium Orange, Pink Madder Lake, Rose Carmine, Pink Carmine, Blue Violet, Violet (total 6)

Total Count 40. This is just a first guess – I’d probably end up changing it many times before going on holiday! :lol:

Macarona

I know that with the constantly repacking.
                I flew on vacation 6 times and always something was wrong or was not suitable for the climate.

So far I have only drawn with a Fantasia 36 set.

I’ve used the Polychromos until now to improve a bit on my watercolor paintings.

I want to draw pictures only with Polychromos on my vacation.

I have not done enough with them yet to say which ones I prefer.
                In my other set, they are used rather evenly because I have to mix many colors.

When I think about it, I do not have enough natural and dark colors in the Fantasia set but too many bright colors.

Thank you for writing me your list :) ,

kind regards Macarona
                Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

ddattler

When I travel, I just bring a full set of pencils since they really don’t take up that much space. I like to travel with a canvas pencil wrap to store and protect them. It also helps protect them from breakage if they fall.

Don Dattler

http://wildlifearts.com
                    Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

Pingpongfan

I have just been given a canvas pencil wrap and it is great. Holds 36 pencils and when rolled up doesn’t take up much room in the suitcase. Even two pencil wraps wouldn’t take up much room, but you probably want to limit yourself to only 36 pencils. Claudia has come up with some good suggestions.
                        Vena

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.