Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Paint thinners with Polychromos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Hello!
    I’ve noticed many artists using paint thinners to blend with polychromos and colored pencils in general, producing really nice pieces.
    I’d like to ask, is it ok to use any paint thinner from any company, or is/are there (a) specific one(s)?
    Would you achieve different results depending on which you use?
    Oh, and while we’re on the topic, how’s your experience with them, and which brushes and papers do you like to use for paint thinners?

Visit my website and feel free to take a look at my art on my Paigeeworld account!
    If you like what you see, you can request a commission and choose which media you'd like, etc. via Instagram DM, note that I'll be posting it up for purchase on zazzle though ^^
    Have a good day!
    Sarosna

I’m probably not the best person to comment on this as I’ve never really gotten paint thinners to work out for me.

There are a few odorless mineral spirits like Gamsol which are very popular. I thought about trying Gamsol but we have an indoor cat that always hangs around my art supplies when I’m working so I didn’t feel like risking it.

Then there’s a citrus-based solvent called Zest-It which is non-toxic. The smell of it caused me a major headache though as I have a migraine tendency. My fiancé has asthma as well but he HAS been cleaning stuff with it without getting any symptoms. But I can’t say what prolonged exposure would do.

As for applying paint thinners I’d recommend a brush. You can use a cotton pud as well but applying the paint thinner is trickier that way. You might end up applying too much paint thinner and too much pressure when you first put it down on the drawing. With brushes you can go in very carefully and build from that.

As for papers just use the paper you would. But of course it has to be proper, thicker art paper that won’t buckle or tear from the surface. Hot press watercolour papers are popular for this technique I believe.

I’m probably not the best person to comment on this as I’ve never really gotten paint thinners to work out for me.

There are a few odorless mineral spirits like Gamsol which are very popular. I thought about trying Gamsol but we have an indoor cat that always hangs around my art supplies when I’m working so I didn’t feel like risking it.

Then there’s a citrus-based solvent called Zest-It which is non-toxic. The smell of it caused me a major headache though as I have a migraine tendency. My fiancé has asthma as well but he HAS been cleaning stuff with it without getting any symptoms. But I can’t say what prolonged exposure would do.

As for applying paint thinners I’d recommend a brush. You can use a cotton pud as well but applying the paint thinner is trickier that way. You might end up applying too much paint thinner and too much pressure when you first put it down on the drawing. With brushes you can go in very carefully and build from that.

As for papers just use the paper you would. But of course it has to be proper, thicker art paper that won’t buckle or tear from the surface. Hot press watercolour papers are popular for this technique I believe.

Thank you! I, not sure if I’ll find Gamsol or anything similar locally, which is why it went with paint thinners :)
        Thanks, I’ll look into it! So I take it doesn’t need to be watercolor paper right?

Visit my website and feel free to take a look at my art on my Paigeeworld account!
        If you like what you see, you can request a commission and choose which media you'd like, etc. via Instagram DM, note that I'll be posting it up for purchase on zazzle though ^^
        Have a good day!
        Sutra

Check out Lachri on YouTube. She demonstrates the use of OMS with polychromos in her tutorial videos so you’ll learn technique. Then you can figure out which brand to buy where you live.

hinddee29

I use Gamsol and I like it. I haven’t tried the kind Lachri uses and likes, but I can’t imagine there is much difference..

I’m a commercial painter by trade so I have almost daily interaction with mineral sprits. I can tell you that you want to stay away from any odorless thinners from a paint/building supply store. They do have an odor and I think are a lot stronger than the odorless thinners in a store.

I was really surprised the first time I used Gamsol and it having NO odor like I’m used to. Make sure you avoid exposure to the skin as much as possible. It will penetrate the skin and go straight to the organs.

Using thinner for CP less is more. You don’t want to use a brush that is soak with thinner. It will cause a wet spot and more thinner will take color away even. This is time consuming to do, but this isn’t suppose to b race. I will dab the tip of the brush in the Gamsol and the brush will soak up the thinner. Then I dab it a few times on a paper towel to remove the access. I use a circler motion, but I haven’t perfected this. If I try to just do certain directions I end up leaving start and finishing marks of the stroke. I am actually thinking about using the powder blender from BrushAndPencil.com or perfecting blending without the use of OMS because once you put the thinner down on paper you have to wait it to dry and that could cause some down time.. Try it you might like it. Get a small bottle first it will last a long time..

Check out Lachri on YouTube. She demonstrates the use of OMS with polychromos in her tutorial videos so you’ll learn technique. Then you can figure out which brand to buy where you live.

Actually I learned about blending with paint thinners and gamsols from her videos and I’m also a fan of hers :)

Have a good day!

I use Gamsol and I like it. I haven’t tried the kind Lachri uses and likes, but I can’t imagine there is much difference..

I’m a commercial painter by trade so I have almost daily interaction with mineral sprits. I can tell you that you want to stay away from any odorless thinners from a paint/building supply store. They do have an odor and I think are a lot stronger than the odorless thinners in a store.

I was really surprised the first time I used Gamsol and it having NO odor like I’m used to. Make sure you avoid exposure to the skin as much as possible. It will penetrate the skin and go straight to the organs.

Using thinner for CP less is more. You don’t want to use a brush that is soak with thinner. It will cause a wet spot and more thinner will take color away even. This is time consuming to do, but this isn’t suppose to b race. I will dab the tip of the brush in the Gamsol and the brush will soak up the thinner. Then I dab it a few times on a paper towel to remove the access. I use a circler motion, but I haven’t perfected this. If I try to just do certain directions I end up leaving start and finishing marks of the stroke. I am actually thinking about using the powder blender from BrushAndPencil.com or perfecting blending without the use of OMS because once you put the thinner down on paper you have to wait it to dry and that could cause some down time.. Try it you might like it. Get a small bottle first it will last a long time..

I thought gamsol was more like, let’s say, a brand name and only made by one company (I lack common sense lol), I knew paint thinners were dangerous but I didn’t think they would be THAT dangerous :o Thanks :) and according to videos I’ve seen powder blenders make really splendid work, but yea I’ll go with paint thinners (again, it depends on what I find locally), thanks for the info ^^

Have a good day!
                PermieW

Actually I learned about blending with paint thinners and gamsols from her videos and I’m also a fan of hers :)

I’m a fan too. I picked up the Mona Lisa OMS she recommended and have been playing with it.

She does mention over and over to keep it covered unless you are using it right that moment.

Delofasht

I personally do not suggest using paint thinners generally. . . especially when oil blends colored pencil just as well (or better in the case of oil based pencils), and they are non toxic.

You can use mineral oil, which is nontoxic but never really dries, commonly used in oil pastels which is often used on paper so no worries about longevity of the surface. Or you can use a vegetable oil like Linseed, Walnut, Poppy, or safflower oil, all of which will dry at some point, though MUCH slower than a solvent. I have actually colored into a very thin layer of oil for some very interesting effects as well.

- Delo Delofasht

I personally do not suggest using paint thinners generally. . . especially when oil blends colored pencil just as well (or better in the case of oil based pencils), and they are non toxic.

You can use mineral oil, which is nontoxic but never really dries, commonly used in oil pastels which is often used on paper so no worries about longevity of the surface. Or you can use a vegetable oil like Linseed, Walnut, Poppy, or safflower oil, all of which will dry at some point, though MUCH slower than a solvent. I have actually colored into a very thin layer of oil for some very interesting effects as well.

Ok, I think I’ll try but would it stain the paper?
                        I tried using baby oil but I never seem to work it out, doesn’t really have the effect most people online get and doesn’t really make much of a difference, it only works when I use baby oil as a base layer and then I start coloring over it which just speeds the coloring process and doesn’t do anything else.. And if I try using a brush or what nots it starts removing pigment and is more like burnishing :/

Have a good day!

believe it or not, I found out I like Olive oil :) A pity that it brings up a touch of green until the oil goes away (and makes hard to judge the exact color).

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Robin

Which kind of oil do you use, Delo?

I also am not a fan of solvents for cps. I remain concerned that they will compromise the integrity of the paper.

Robin

Delofasht

RobinZ, I use Walnut oil typically, any oil that actually dries is a good one in my opinion however. Solvents are likely to affect the size used in paper, after all paper is just cotton fibers (and sometimes wood fibers) mixed with glues and pressed out thinly. Oils will affect these too though, but oils dry to become a polymer of their own, in essence they are a glue. Mineral oil never (almost never) dries, but do not dissolve the size used in most paper either, being a very gentle oil in general (sometimes used as a lubricant or a laxative).

HiddenConstellation, it may be that you should use a lot more color before blending then, oil dissolves the binder, but if there isn’t a lot of it there it won’t have as much impact. I have some photos of the effect is has on my Polychromos in the CP Library here, in one of the Tips and Tricks threads, should be near the most recent there. As I use walnut oil, and it’s more active than mineral oil for blending I have found, a far better solvent and very light in color (with a good smell as well).

- Delo Delofasht
                                Delofasht

believe it or not, I found out I like Olive oil :) A pity that it brings up a touch of green until the oil goes away (and makes hard to judge the exact color).

Interesting, olive oil is a very slow drier I thought, extremely slow as high oleic acid oils dry very, very slowly indeed. I could see it being used, though I would consider a clearer oil a superior alternative, such as walnut, safflower, or poppy.

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Robin

Thanks Delo!

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.