Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How long does varnish take to dry?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LaurenMichele

I have never varnished a painting before so would apreciate any handy tips you have! I have the Winsor and Newtons Galleria Gloss Varnish. It says to leave for 24hours between coats, but thats as far as the instructions get me. Is this the same for the drying period? I wanted to sell my piece so need to know when i can put it up for sale :). Any other tips for varnishing would be greatly apreciated too!
        Thanks in advance!

saaz hop

I’ve used W&N spray varnish a few times. I think the drying time will depend on humidity. 24 hours seems good between coats but I usually wait a few days before I put if in a frame. Once it still seemed slightly tacky after a day, that’s why I give a few days before framing.

Patrick

Guide

Drying is one thing. Curing is yet another. It may be several days to 7 days before it is nearly cured. Depends on application, how thick etc.

Have you gone to the W&N website to see if there are further directions there.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

LaurenMichele

Its not the spray on, its the paint on. It was ‘dry’ after 24hours so i could do another coat. Is there any way to check if it is ‘cured’? No i havent been on the websight thats a good idea thankyou :). Thankyou both for your help :).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • The topic ‘How long does varnish take to dry?’ is closed to new replies.