Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum A couple of varnish questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gmburns2000

Hi,

Two varnish questions:

1) How do you clean your varnish brush? Do you just use turps? My varnish brush is getting really hard, even after cleaning it out. Just curious if maybe I’m not cleaning it enough.

2) Anyone varnish over a painting that has a lot of white canvas exposed? What have the long-term effects been? I have several paintings that use a lot of the white of the canvas and I want to varnish these paintings, but I want to avoid having the varnish change the whiteness. Just curious what people have experienced.

Thanks!
        Greg

JamieWG

I use a synthetic varnish. I rinse my brushes in clean Turpenoid or Gamsol (have a jar set aside for only varnish brushes), let the excess drain off on a paper towel, and I let them dry hard after reshaping the bristles. A couple of hours before varnishing, I soak the brush in the mineral spirits container so that it regains its suppleness. I drain off the excess OMS on a paper towel, then varnish as usual.

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
            Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
            [/url]
            One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

kylesurges

I clean my varnish brush thoroughly after each use. I dip and rinse the brush in 4 separate cups of solvent/thinner to remove as much varnish from the brush as possible. Then I dab the brush with paper towels to draw out as much solvent as I can. I finish up by washing it with soap and water. BTW, the Master’s Brush cleaner is great for this. I actually have a tutorial of this procedure on my website http://www.nitpickyartist.com/varnishing-a-painting.html . Its located at the bottom of the page.

You should be okay varnishing the white areas of the painting. Most synthetic varnishes are as clear as water and have UV protection in them, so yellowing will not be an issue. And even if you did use a damar varnish which naturally has a pale yellow tint, the coat of varnish you lay down will be thin enough to where it wont be noticeable. However, damar does yellow with age, so beware :evil: :lol:

Gmburns2000

That’s a great link, thanks for sharing. I think I need a new brush as I probably haven’t taken care of the old one well enough.

I think for the white canvases I’m going to use a small, cheap, unused canvas and test out the three different types of varnish (gloss, matte, retouch) just to see how each affects the brightness of the white. I figure that will take some time, though, so it’s nice to hear that it shouldn’t matter much. As you can see, the white is pretty important to the pieces:

Anyone varnish over a painting that has a lot of white canvas exposed?

No. I never leave canvas exposed and then varnish over it. I have at least one coat of paint on it (a gessoed surface, of course).

When life hands you lemons, add some tequila, a sprinkle of salt and call me!
                    Gmburns2000

Yes, that’s actually what I have, too. I have gesso over the canvas. I guess what I want to know is what people think about the white from the gesso – does the varnish affect the strength of the white?

kylesurges

Yes, that’s actually what I have, too. I have gesso over the canvas. I guess what I want to know is what people think about the white from the gesso – does the varnish affect the strength of the white?

Nope. Should remain the same. Just a change in surface sheen.

Gmburns2000
                              Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • The topic ‘A couple of varnish questions’ is closed to new replies.