Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera what are your supports for Gouache?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ian Bruce

I am just starting with gouache. I have plenty of cold-pressed paper and a couple of blocks of hot-pressed. What are the other choices? Do you prime water color paper with anything or use, as is? I wouldn’t mind trying board. Is plywood good, or only Masonite and other pressed boards and how do you prepare them?

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Ian , the [FONT=Arial]hopeful aspirer.

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.

For me, the best results come on a paper surface that’s only slightly absorbant. Use the paper as is, no priming necessary. Hot pressed 100% rag works well. Quality illustration board can be hard to find sometimes. Strathmore 4-5 ply works well. On occasion, I’ve made my own illustration board by gluing sheets of quality paper together, or gluing to museum board. Multimedia Artboard makes a paper I’ve just started using that’s made with epoxy resin and it holds up well.

I’ve never bothered to try it on wood. I don’t think there’s any benefit there. If I were, I’d want it only slightly absorbant – maybe 1-2 coats of acrylic primer. I’d guess that real gesso would be too absorbant. Harboards (Masonite) are often tempered with oil, so unless sized and primed properly, I’d stay away from them.

David Blaine Clemons
        ----------------
        My Website
        My Blog

andymathis

I think textured clayboard would be a good choice too. Another option might be to glue the paper to ampersand hardboard, either by dry mounting it or using an acrylic medium. Or those artboards for small works- http://www.art-boards.com

The sizing on most watercolor paper is just about perfect for gouache. It does not need to be primed. I like 140 lb watercolor paper in blocks, both hot and cold pressed. For me the ultimate support is 300 lb hot pressed watercolor paper. For just doodling and experimenting, Strathmore Bristol board has a nice surface.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
            Richard

JamieWG

Sometimes I give a coat of acrylic primer to my watercolor paper, but I also like gouache on unprimed paper.

Richard, I never thought to use Strathmore bristol! I’ll have to give that a whirl. BTW, there is inexpensive Strathmore bristol in series 300 and 400, but they also have a 100% rag content bristol in their 500 series. It is available in 2-5 ply, if I remember correctly. I think I have some around here somewhere….’Will have to pull it out for my next gouache venture!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                [/url]
                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

A thought occured to about using paper. I know many artists like to employ an affect that watercolorists use for white areas by just letting the paper show through, which is reasonable. A problem I’ve seen in older works is the paper often changes color as it ages. I remember one illustrator’s painting I saw made in the 60s and the paper had changed to a sort of salmon pink. He’d painted out an edge of the tree line in white, which at the time must have blended nicely with the white paper, but now stuck out as a big patch of white paint. On the other hand, I’ve seen some papers over a hundred years old that look rather bright. It’s hard to tell how they may change.

David Blaine Clemons
                ----------------
                My Website
                My Blog

Ian Bruce

Thanks for the info. My gouache set just arrived and I am dying to dive in!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Ian , the [FONT=Arial]hopeful aspirer.

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.

Anonymous

I always liked Illustration board like this: http://www.dickblick.com/zz134/08/
                        or http://www.dickblick.com/zz133/05/

…A problem I’ve seen in older works is the paper often changes color as it ages…

Good quality pH neutral 100% cotton paper should not do that. Paper made from wood pulp will eventually change color, even if it is “acid free.” I pretty much stick to Arches, Fabriano, Lanaquarelle, and Kilimanjaro (Cheap Joe’s) for serious stuff, and cheaper wood pulp paper for doodling.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                        Richard

I work mainly on rice paper. I love the texture from the fibers and bleed the gouache into the paper from the backside to give it color, enhance the fibers, and give some body to the rice paper. Otherwise, it’s like painting on kleenex!

I’ve also use illustration board, Strathmore white drawing paper, and those cheap brown instutional paper towels. Obviously, I experiment a lot. Gouache is a wonderful paint – such rich vibrant colors and that velvety finish contrast perfectly with the gold and silver gouache I use as highlights.

- Wendy
                        "It works 'cause I don't know any better."
                        Cicuye Studios

ritagoldner

I use Ampersand supports for gouache, both textured claybord, and pastelbord, the latter when I want to use watersoluable pencils or crayons with the gouache. In either case, I spray the final product with Krylon, so I can frame without glass. Works great! Especially for pleinaire. I had called the Ampersand company advice line to make sure it was archival.
                            Rita Goldner http://www.ritagoldner.com

meglyman

I’ve also tried Ampersand boards, and like pastelbord the best. Gessobord makes the paint slide around a lot and lifts really easily.

Canson pastel paper is nice because it’s toned, but it buckles a lot.

Overall, I like illo board the best.

Meg

Meg Lyman Illustration - www.meglyman.com
                                CrashOctopus Blog - an Ode to Art and Beer

Old Tex

My preference is illustration board, although I may do a little experimenting one of these days.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]RALPH

[FONT=Arial Narrow]My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
                                    [FONT=Arial Narrow]My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com

marc

What is the difference between hot pressed and cold pressed?

Hot pressed papers are smooth surfaces, little to no grain/texture.

Cold pressed papers are rougher surfaces, grainy to a lot of grain/texture.

That’s the easy answer. :)

Judy - Moderator: Art History Forum and Reference Image Library

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.