WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Windsor, California Sonoma County - Gateway to The Wine Country!

Hails from United States
Re: First transfer WIP

Hi Mary - Great job. I am getting ready to do my first transfer, I have the lazertran sheet, made a high quality color copy of a poster onto the sheet, and bought a stretched canvas and liquitiex matte medium to brush on the canvas.

Is that all I need? Do I just coat the canvas with the liquitex, dip the lasertran in water, and then transfer it to the canvas? I am wondering how thick to brush on the liquitex, and how I get the excess off.

Any other suggestions?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Hi - I believe Mary will weigh in here but I think she used a transfer method I sent her by snailmail using medium and no lazertran sheet. You can use a transparency or any coated paper to make a transfer. Many photographic papers are coated and marked on their packaging. Clay coating helps to move the transfer more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm A Dreamer
Hi Mary - Great job. I am getting ready to do my first transfer, I have the lazertran sheet, made a high quality color copy of a poster onto the sheet, and bought a stretched canvas and liquitiex matte medium to brush on the canvas.

Is that all I need? Do I just coat the canvas with the liquitex, dip the lasertran in water, and then transfer it to the canvas? I am wondering how thick to brush on the liquitex, and how I get the excess off.

Any other suggestions?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 05:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm A Dreamer

Any other suggestions?
Sorry, I hadn't seen this. Actually all I did was foto copy the image on the transparency and then brush enough metallic acrylic paint just over the amate paper that was glued on the canvas. Then I placed the transfer on that before it dried but I did not wet the tranparency. Then I burnished with the bottom of the spoon and carefully peeled away the transparency. I used the hot gun because I heard or read that that would set it. I will try another one tomorrow and see if I have the same luck. The transperency I use has a rough side and that is where the print is supposed to be.

Let us know how it comes out and we will be looking forward to your post.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi....
Perhaps interfering here because I am reading two different threads re this process. Please forgive me if I am repeating myself.

But...
Lazertran may be used to transfer an image to canvas, or several other surfaces apparently, but it is not an image transfer process like is being generally talked about here.

In a way, it's an apple/oranges situation.

Lazertran is basically the transference of a decal from the paper surface it comes on to the substrate of choice. It is not a transference of ink as is being discussed here.

In the one experiment in which I used the lazertran, merely dipping into the water made it free of the underlying paper. The ink ran, and the edges started to curl.

Will go to other post under 'Image Transfer to Canvas'....see there's a question there for me which is also related to this.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Karen, yes I think that the confusion is that I am using a transparency like acetate that is used in the projectors for demonstrations in meetings or schools and what comes off is the printed image that is just fotocopied on my HP printer, scanner. I just happened to have a tube of metallic Golden acrylic paint that I must have bought in the US at sometime and that is what I used. Tomorrow I want to try one with just and acrylic medium that I get down here and see what happens.

Thank you Karen for sharing you information. The same to you Zoe!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelevier
.......what comes off is the printed image that is just fotocopied on my HP printer, scanner.

Mary...this is where I'm a little bit confused. Do you actually have an HP printer-scanner-photocopier combination? I happen to have just a scanner and separate printer....the printer is also an HP Deskjet. (Pretty old, but it works well).

So, thinking that this work on transparencies requires a photocopy vs. an inkjet print from the printer...I've been assuming I need to get these done at the copy store using a photocopier. Not so?

There seems to be a distinct difference between the pigment from a photocopier and one from a deskjet printer, so if the latter works just as well, would really love to know.

Thanks.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Rust Belt

Morning each,

I'll be interested to hear what you say Mary, but Karen I do not get my images copied at the repro shop, aka Kinko's. I put the image on inkjet paper (clay coated) and transfer from that onto the subtrate. However, as I know patience is a virtue we all worry about, I do wait until the inkjet has dried or it will fuss and bleed out when I swab on the medium.

When I took the Talbot workshop he did use photocopies, but also he has one in his Studio. We tested the inkjets together to see how it would work and it did!!!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi, What I think I will do is go to Office Depot and see what kind of papers they have there and see if I can transfer from it as cleanly as I did from the transparency.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen m
Mary...this is where I'm a little bit confused. Do you actually have an HP printer-scanner-photocopier combination? I happen to have just a scanner and separate printer....the printer is also an HP Deskjet. (Pretty old, but it works well).

So, thinking that this work on transparencies requires a photocopy vs. an inkjet print from the printer...I've been assuming I need to get these done at the copy store using a photocopier. Not so?

There seems to be a distinct difference between the pigment from a photocopier and one from a deskjet printer, so if the latter works just as well, would really love to know.

Thanks.

Hi Karen, actually my HP is a three combination. It is a printer, photocopier and scanner. The print I used I photocopied from a San Luis history book directly to the transparency. The ink cartridges are the same ones for the printer and the copier. I bought this one recently because my HP printer finally gave in and I got this one for under $100.00 at Costco but I have seen them at Office Depot and Office Max.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Rust Belt

Mary, if you run into any problems in getting some coated paper, let me know, I'll send some samples down to you so you can "feel" and "see" the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelevier
Hi, What I think I will do is go to Office Depot and see what kind of papers they have there and see if I can transfer from it as cleanly as I did from the transparency.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

OK, thank you I will. It hadn't ocurred to me to check out the papers there and they have so many kinds. Have a nice day! Today is a holiday here.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks to both of you Mary and Zoe.

I understand now. I don't have a photocopier here in the house. But I do have an Epson 1250 StylusPro printer which I bought off E-Bay. Last July! It looks great...guy who sold it to me has offered help with problems. But! I have yet to install it. Arghhhhh....procrastinator supreme!

I'm thinking likely the clay-coated paper is the stuff I ordered from Mr. Talbot. Better unwrap that too!

And I haven't yet done the experimentation today....have been playing in PS Elements working out some possibilities for future efforts in this series.

Getting a stiff neck now, and hungry as well.

Hopefully will get to the non-virtual experimentation soon.

Btw...I love the way you people share so generously. Thank you.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

You share generously yourself Karen, thank you, that's just a Mixed
Media trait.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Rust Belt

Pstt, , Karen, the paper you got from JT, yup, it is coated. The coating is what he reckons makes the transfer work all that much easier. Give it a try, if you will and let us know your experience.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
Pstt, , Karen, the paper you got from JT, yup, it is coated. The coating is what he reckons makes the transfer work all that much easier. Give it a try, if you will and let us know your experience.

pssssst Zoe.....
Okay...thanks. Will do. Eventually.

Happy First-Day-of-Spring!