Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time September 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Debby

It’s almost fall but the temperatures aren’t getting cooler yet. At least this year we weren’t subjected to lots of fires. We had a very wet winter and spring. Hope everyone is doing well.

I’m making books and working on doll faces. Just wish I had a bit more energy and hand points to do more.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Hmmm I thought I had posted something.
            The last few days have been a bit crazy. I had a colonoscopy today, just age category stuff. What a horrible prep for that. 5 days of low fibre low fat eating. The opposite of my usual diet then a day of liquid sugar and a night of hell. I slept the rest of the day today when I got home.

I have been doing dumb knitting for the last few days. I have been making market bags for gifts. There is a real push here to get rid of plastic bags. These bags are a knit version of those European strings bags but made in bright colours.
            Those green socks are languishing almost finished. I need to make some design decisions about how to finish them.

I did cut out a skirt. Fabric i bought almost a year ago that i couldn’t make up my mind about the pattern. Since the old favourite died the decision fell to that pattern. 8 gores cut out and pockets. It will get sewn up this week. It is getting colder and i want a flannel skirt.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, feel better after that medical procedure. (Yes, it’s a pain!) Could you have done bone broth instead of liquid sugar? It’s clear liquid. The market bags sound great. Can we see them? Yay on a new skirt with pockets.

I no sooner made myself a new journal when mom told me she needed her birthday present early this year. I make her 2 journals a year. One on Mother’s Day and one on her birthday in October. She’s been doing more journal writing this year and has run out. This is the 3rd journal in a month. I’m batching it at this point. I’m sewing up all the text blocks I have paper for and will bind them all so I have books on hand. Especially since the silly season will be starting soon and I’ll be busy with re-making critters. Also once I have a pile of books made, I can go back to the doll experiments until the silly season and the re-making of critters.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

My body doesn’t usually like broth by itself. I have a lot of it in the freezer which I use to make soups . I make it in the instant pot with turkey bones and left overs.

I will post some pictures as soon as I have blocked them because that opens the mesh and straightens the knit.

I have been eating a lot the last 2 days. It is like my body freaked out over the whole prep thing. I am trying to stay very low carb to counter act the week of high carb.

The market bags are xmas presents. Every body has birthdays around that time too, 1 October, 2 November, the xmas then more 3 birthdays in January.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, yes, bone broth makes the best soups. Hope your body stabilizes soon after the trauma. It’s great you are getting gifts made early. I had an idea for gifts for Christmas… it’s not happening this year.

Still working on the journal making. What I’d love to have is 2 work spaces. One I can do the book making and one for fiber arts. With the book making, I clear all the fiber art stuff away. Don’t want to get glue on my fabrics! But, that means doing something like watch videos or read while the glue dries because I don’t have space to store the book while that happens. It sits in the work space. I’ve been in discussion with DH about getting rid of the dining table and chairs and replacing it with a work table. We rarely eat there and we even more rarely have guests over to eat. So… it’s a future project. Then I’d have a book making space.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Ummm a dining table is a work table ….. and sometimes one clears it to put food on.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, yes it already is a work table of sorts. The problem is it’s round and uncomfortable to stand and work at. A work table would be taller so my back doesn’t hurt to stand at it and work.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Yes height is important. I got rid of a desk which was to high for me to work at. It was a desk my father and grandfather had made in the 60’s. I posted it on kijiji and it sold to some guy who was into “Mid century modern” He was very happy to find a desk like that, very solid and hand made. That made me feel good too, it went to a good home.

I haven’t done much. That hurricane Dorian made a dead set for Halifax, Nova Scotia where my daughter lives and I have been glued to the internet. The kids are fine, they spent the night playing what they called “Hurricane D&D” There are several friends that live in the apartment complex and they all spent the storm together eating “storm chips” They never lost power but my stepgrandson’s bio mother did. The last she posted last night was a shot of a generator supplying power to the sump pump to deal with the water. We haven’t heard anything since.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, glad your family seems to be ok. Hurricane D&D sounds like a great way to pass the time. Hope things continue to be ok for your family.

Speaking of family… my mom has 4 sisters. Every year they get together for a “sister reunion”. This year my mom hosted it here at her summer home. (The one that she’s got up for sale.) I went to visit my aunts and they were very enthusiastic that I’m still making critters and am working on a doll. It was nice to feel appreciated for my art. One of the aunts is going to be a great-grandmother of twins by the end of the year and wants to commission 2 critters for the little ones. There is some debate of whether it should be llamas or unicorns and what the colors should be. I told her I could do it, I just needed more defined details. :lol:

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Ah a lamma with a horn in rainbow colours! And wings!

I am glad someone in your family appreciates your work.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

So here is a shot of one of the market bags I have been making.

I am working on getting stuff blocked. I finished this in February.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, the market bag looks great. The shawl is beautiful. You always find such great things to knit.

Didn’t get creative things done yesterday. Kind of had a personal energy crisis. It was an effort to do much of anything and I spent all the energy I had on getting the chores done. :rolleyes: Feeling better today and want to get back to doing something creative.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I have spent most of the time blocking various items.
                                                        This is MINE for winter snuggling.

I have a few more items to do. Then I can stop. The dog will be happy because she won’t get shooed away from the wet stuff. Because in the morning there is a nice patch of sunshine right there. She is like a cat looking for warm patches.
                                                        Once all the things are blocked the chair will be emptied and I can start re-arranging the bed room and sorting things for winter.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, that definitely looks snuggly. Poor dog. She’ll get her sunshine back soon. Yes, winter is coming soon. The days are getting visibly shorter and the temperatures are starting to drop.

The next step on the doll head is to embroider the eyes and mouth. Honestly, I’ve been procrastinating for at least 2 days now. It’s not that I can’t embroider. It’s not being able to make a decision on how realistic to go. Do I just make colored dots for eyes or embroider actually eyes with pupil and whites? Do I make a simple line for the mouth or actually embroider lips?

Debby
                                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

First go for the most detail possible. Just do it. The next one simplify. It is easier to simplify when you have done the detailed version.
                                                                Note metallic thread works wonderful to give the glint of life. You just need one stitch with it.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.