Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Large round (size 20-22): Perla or Neptune?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    silvermoss

I want to move from sketch-book, post-card sized paintings to larger sheets and was considering buying either an Escoda Perla Toray white synthetic or a Princeton Neptune synthetic round brush, in the largest sized rounds available. Both seem to have received favourable comments on this site. I understand the Neptune is squirrel-like whilst the Perla is sable-like.

The idea of the 1 inch Neptune oval flat wash also intrigues me as it could function both as a wash brush as well as having a point to put in some detail.

Which would you prefer?

Moss

Critique and comments always welcome and much appreciated.

briantmeyer

I don’t know anything about the escoda perla, so cannot really help you compare.

I love my neptune round 18. I also love my escoda reserva sable. To choose only one of those, I’d go with my big neptune round. I got mine for $15 and its huge, I stopped using anything else for big washes, even the painter brush. It just holds so much water. I use the reserva mainly so I don’t use up all my paint. Also love the dagger. If I could I’d buy a bunch more. It’s only problem is it’s not the sharpest of tips.

I was walking by the artists at the san diego water color society, and the few I consider the top artists seemed to have a lot of Neptunes. I would say get the cheaper one, unless someone can show why perla is better.

Or perhaps get both. Per dickblick pricing, a single perla is.
            Perla Round, Size 20 $35.06

You can get both for about the same price, by getting a smaller Perla
            Neptune Round, Size 20 $19.97
            Perla Round, Size 16 $21.91 ( or get a 12 or 14 so you have a variety of sizes )

( note that my neptune 18 is plenty big )

Cedarita

I have only used the Neptunes…like Brian I love my #18. It’s my go-to brush no matter what size I’m working, since it comes to a lovely point.

What’s most important to you in a brush? Water capacity? springiness?

virgil carter

Brushes are highly personal. You seem to like rounds and I’d say either brush is a high quality brush. You can’t go wrong, but if you can find them in a store in might be a good idea to test them with some water and a piece of scrap paper (assuming the store will let you).

My Perlas are very good brushes, somewhat stiff.

Another good (but very different) option is a quill, either natural or synthetic fiber. Quills hold unbelievable amount of paint/water and still have a fine point. The thing about quills is learning to use them effectively, since they take a rather different technique from standard rounds. They are unmatched, however, for executing large passages with lots of paint and water, while coming back for small marks and details with the tip. Synthetic fiber quills are somewhat less “floppy” than natural fiber (and less expensive).

Good luck on your choice.

Sling paint,
                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                    Virgil Carter
                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Nalatu

I have both, but not in those sizes. I have Neptune rounds in sizes 4, 8, and 12. I have a Perla in size 8. Keep in mind that larger brushes don’t fit well into normal paint wells, meaning you’ll have to take paint with the tip of the brush rather than the side, which can wear down the point. You’ll either have to use fresh paint, paint that has been thoroughly wetted before use, very large wells, or a separate brush for transferring paint from the well to the palette.

Neptune
                        Pros:
                        * Holds a ton of water and paint- Not only can you put down a lot of paint at once, but dry brush lasts forever
                        * Decent point, especially in the larger sizes
                        * Handle is well-balanced and feels good in the hand

Cons:
                        * Very limp, the brush gets “squished” when you make a stroke
                        * Smaller sizes won’t come to a point when they’re fully loaded with paint or water, so you have to roll them on paper towel to get a good point

Perla
                        Pros:
                        * Holds water and paint well, doesn’t dump it all at once
                        * Very good point
                        * Brush springs back into its shape when lifted from the paper
                        * Points constantly, even when fully loaded with water or paint
                        * Handle is very nice (though I personally dislike the color)

Cons:
                        * Doesn’t hold as much water or paint as Neptune
                        * White tip will stain (this doesn’t affect the performance of the brush; I use it to tell if I’ve let the paint get too close to the ferrule)
                        * Sizes run small
                        * More expensive than other brushes of the same diameter

The deciding factor is whether or not you like soft brushes.

___

Virgil, what’s the difference in performance between a quill and a regular round? I thought the only difference was that the quill ferrule was less likely to shed.

Quill 4: 10 x 38 mm – $17.97
                        Quill 6: 11 x 37 mm – $21.97
                        Quill 8: 13 x 40 mm – $27.47

Round 16: 10 x 36 mm – $12.97
                        Round 18: 11 x 40 mm – $15.97
                        Round 20: 13 x 40 mm – $19.97

(Pics and prices from Dick Blick)

I don’t see that much of a difference, except in price.

Windrunner

You might consider looking into Escoda Prado brushes, too. They are Escoda’s answer to synthetic sable and they are a delight to paint with, although I admit I prefer the Reservas whenever I can afford them. They come in rounds, brights & filberts 0-22. The white toray is just a little too stiff to be an all-around brush for my style of watercolor, but I use the smaller pocket brushes for plein air, and love them.

You probably can’t go wrong with any of these selections – they are all beautiful! Years later, my first big brushes are still going strong, still very pointed & springy so they do dual duty as far as covering a lot of area plus good points for smaller details & hard edges, but I use them a lot less now as this kind of brush makes it harder for me to get soft edges & looser strokes. They are the Fibonacci Size 10 (huge!!) and DaVinci Cosmotop Spin 20. I now use squirrel quill mops & Escoda (or similar) reservas almost exclusively, and synthetics for the wear & tear of plein air pan paints.

I’m not sure what’s readily available in Australia, but this shop (links to follow…) in England ships worldwide & takes about 3 weeks for delivery to the USA. To AUS it may be way less, and they have excellent prices (-20% outside of England), free brush-only shipping, and multiple currency selection. All things I like! (No, I am not affiliated- just a happy customer).
                            The reason I mention them is that I just bought their store brand white toray ‘Artica’ brushes which are actually made by, and identical to, the Escoda Perla at a better price. Ditto for the tajmyr kolinsky. I love them!

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Watercolour_Painting-Watercolour_Brushes-Jackson’s_Artica_White_Synthetic_Watercolour_Brushes/c2129_2128_2364_30649_30650/index.html

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Watercolour_Painting-Watercolour_Brushes-Escoda_Prado_Synthetic_Tame_Burgundy_Short_Handle/c2129_2128_2364_30649_34397/index.html

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Brands-A-Z_All_Brands-Jacksons-Jackson%27s_Squirrel_Brushes-Jackson%27s_Pure_Squirrel_Series_888_Oval_Sky_Wash_Brushes/c2200_1044_8090_27637_27641/index.html

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Watercolour_Painting-Watercolour_Brushes/c2129_2128_2364_30649/index.html

Have fun looking!
                            Susan

virgil carter

N asked, “…Virgil, what’s the difference in performance between a quill and a regular round? I thought the only difference was that the quill ferrule was less likely to shed…”

It’s a good question. I have found quills, especially natural fiber ones, to be like wine or beer–they’re an acquired taste because they handle differently and give some distinctive results as compared to similar sized rounds. Just my experience–others may differ on this.

Quills (sometimes called quill mops or simply mops), were initially made from squirrel hair I believe. Squirrel is the most absorbent of the natural brush fibers (even more than sable, ox, etc.), carrying a greater load of water and paint than any other comparably sized fiber, natural or synthetic.

If you look at the photo of the quills you will see that they also have a relative larger “belly”, compared to “slimmer” rounds, thus adding to the carrying capacity of the brush.

Brush size numbers for quills do not correspond to similar numbers for rounds–quills have their own numbering classification, as your photo shows.

Squirrel is an extremely limp fiber, and to use effectively in a quill the brush must be kept highly loaded. When loaded it can be used just as effectively at the sharp point for marks and details, as from the side of the belly for a large application. When partially loaded or nearly empty, however, even a slight pressure will cause the brush fibers to go limp and remain with the fibers nearly horizontal. Thus, to work the brush effectively it must be kept well-loaded (unless one is seeking “dry brush” strokes).

For me at least, I find best results holding the quill much more vertically perpendicular to the face of the paper (so that there will be maximum water-paint transfer from brush to the paper), whereas rounds can be held effectively at a more acute angle. Others may have found other preferred working positions–I’m really not sure how common this is for all artists.

Quills are very useful for loose, expressionistic strokes and well-suited for Chinese style work. Quills point extremely well (when loaded), and the broad “belly” can discharge amazing large amounts of paint for those large passages. Because loaded quills have so much paint and water, a carefully experienced pressure is needed in order to prevent the brush from discharging more water-paint than desired.

Artificial fiber quills are closer to using large artificial fiber rounds, in that their artificial fibers are stiffer than squirrel, but they hold less water and paint. There are also a bit more flexible in how they must be held since their fibers are stiffer. It may just be me, but I find the artificial fiber quills easier to learn to use since they are more similar to artificial fiber rounds then their squirrel fiber cousins.

I have both natural squirrel and artificial fiber quills and like them both. They are often my “go-to” brush for starting work in large passages and for more spontaneous applications.

Hope this helps.

Sling brushes,
                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                Virgil Carter
                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

zoodlemaker

Virgil, so much useful information as always….this time, your description of using Quills thinking Chinese style, and perpendicular.

It’s amazing what few words can just make that huge difference.

Merci bien!

Sandra

WthrLady

Own both. Always grab my neptune

silvermoss

Thanks so much for all the replies and helpful insights!

Cedarita – I generally like springy brushes, but I guess the idea of a brush that could be a wash as well as a detail brush intrigues me. I have chosen to go synthetic for price mainly, although if they can be used with pan paints and take a bit more wear and tear, that is a bonus.

Brian – It sounds like I might have to buy them both! Thanks for the tips on the pricing. I am equally tempted to take up Virgil‘s suggestion and buy the Neptune quill instead of the round. I would like to try some Chinese-style painting in the future.

Nalatu, thanks for that great comparison. I do have tiny pans in my travel palette, so these brushes will mainly be used at home, probably with fresh paint, although a palette with bigger wells for home use is on the cards…

Susan – I read here (Another of Virgil’s informative posts!) that the Perlas were softer than the Prados? I would really like something that is more like sable. Are the Perlas softer than sable then? Thanks also for the shopping tips! It’s nice not to have to do the mental currency conversion ;)

Wthrlady and others – It sounds like those Neptunes are sure favourites – maybe the ability to point doesn’t matter so much at larger sizes? I guess one could always switch to a smaller brush at a later stage.

Moss

Windrunner

Both the Perla & Prado are soft brushes, but slightly different…the softest of the two is the Perla, I think, but both have a great snap with the Prado perhaps being the ‘snappiest’.

Another very affordable brush that I have loved is the Silver Black Velvet Jumbo Round – a blend of squirrel and black synthetic fibers, made in Japan. It is the brush that Soon Y. Warren uses for her fabulous background washes; very soft & sable-like but springy, not at all floppy, and comes to (& holds) a great point. Mine is the med., which is about like the 16 or 18 Neptune in size.

I agree with Virgil’s wisdom regarding a blended mop being easier to learn to handle than a pure squirrel mop, esp. since there is a difference between those, too. But from what I am gleaning from your posts, the jumbo mop sounds like it might also be close to what you are looking for:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/silver-brush-black-velvet-jumbo-round-series-3025/

Whatever you decide on will be perfect, I’m sure… Brushes really are sooo personal. And so much fun to get a new one, or two! I am excited to see what you finally choose!

sunychka

Escoda Ultimo! (Better than Neptune, in my eyes.)
                                                    Perla is also very good. Not as soft as Ultimo. Better for smaller sizes, I would say.

Maryna

PROUD TO BE UKRAINIAN
                                                    Superturtle

I think Neptunes and Perlas make a great combination – Neptunes for looser work, Perlas for details. Lately I’ve been using a #14 Neptune for my paintings. I’ll then go in with a size 6 Perla for the finishing details. Neptunes are very squirrel like – soft, floppy, and juicy. To me they feel luxurious to paint with. Not a practical point, but they’re also just pretty to look at! Perlas are quite stiff in comparison – they almost feel more like an acrylic brush. They do have nice flow, sharp points, and take quite a bit of abuse. I have tried many different synthetics, and Perlas and Neptunes so far have been my favorites. On occasion I’ll use a sable brush I have, when I need a brush with controlled water flow, but I could probably do all my paintings with just a large Neptune round and smallish Perla round. If you look at Zbukvic and Castagnet’s approach, they paint with large squirrel brushes then go in with smaller stiff synthetics for details as well.

The Neptune Quills are also wonderful, if you’re a quill painter, or want to give quills a try – I’d recommend the #6. IMO the size difference between the 3 Neptune Quills is not significant enough to buy all 3 brushes, I think the #6 would be sufficient. The thing with Quills is people tend to love them or find they don’t like using them. I think a Neptune Quill’s a good place to start if you want to experiment with this type brush. If you’re considering a #20 round, you might want to consider the quill, since the bristles come out to about the same size.

I have tried a 3/4″ Neptune Oval, and didn’t like it – I found the end too fluffy, which I didn’t like for details. I have a 3/4″ Black Velvet Oval wash which I like much better – I could do details much better with this brush. In the US, you can get either one of these brushes for about $20 – some people find they love Cat’s Tongue brushes, and prefer them to Quills.

At the end of the day, brushes are very personal things – just experiment with what you can afford. Many artists go through a lot of experimentation before settling on a few supplies they use most of the time. I’ve tried all sorts of brushes, and keep coming back to rounds, and like I said earlier, a large Neptune round and a smaller Perla’s sufficient for me. In a few years, I may change my mind, but that’s part of the fun.

hblenkle

I bought the 8 Neptune quill for doing big washes on a 1/4 sheet. When I started watercolors I used synthetics. Big natural hair or the Neptune that replicates the water carrying capabilities of natural hair make painting big areas easier. The Neptune in a test wet 4 times the area of paper than the synthetic brush. For little detail the synthetic was ok because it was stiffer to spring back on fancy brush work and held less water which was sufficient for small detail areas. For a year I did whole quarter sheet paintings using just the number 8 Neptune quill. I could paint lines like a pencil. Eventually I started using smaller brushes and am now using just sables. I started out with real squirrel hair quills and have been experimenting with brushes. First real squirrel hair quills, then the Neptune synthetic squirrel hair, and now Kolinsky sable hair brushes.

silvermoss

Susan and Maryna, thanks for throwing the Silver black velvet and Escoda Ultimo into the mix! Now I really can’t decide! :confused:

Escoda Ultimo! (Better than Neptune, in my eyes.)
                                                                Perla is also very good. Not as soft as Ultimo. Better for smaller sizes, I would say.

Maryna, do you think the Ultimo points better than the Neptune?

Can anyone compare the Escoda Ultimo and the Silver black velvet, or better yet, all three brands (ie Escoda, Silver, and Princeton Neptune)? There doesn’t seem to be much info on the Ultimo out there. I like Escoda brushes, as their other brushes point well, so I am wondering whether the Ultimos also have a good point.

Moss

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.