WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2018, 11:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: People want to buy my art but I dont know how to price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
I worked in the steel industry - in an integrated steel mill - for 25 years. The only thing that counts is whether or not the steel going out the gate meets the customer's specifications and expectations. But one can bet their last farthing that pricing it takes into account labor, materials, overhead,etc.

That is true for any commerce - artistic or otherwise. Sometimes a work of art is more appealing to some people than a bar or coil of steel, and at the same time a coil of cold-rolled steel is more appealing than a painting to the users and purchasers of that steel. Or automobiles, a house or other building (there are many buildings around the world considered works of art) or any other commodity.

You price your work the way you want. If you have a method you want to share with OP, share it, but don't knock what you apparently know nothing about. Keep on track of the original post, not pretending your way is the only way and vociferously disagreeing with anyone whose opinion you don't like.

By your logic, Mike, I should have charged more when I started out and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to mix the color I needed, erasing bad layouts, scraping off mistakes, and trashing disasters to start over.

Now that I am more skilled, and therefore WAY more efficient, by your formula, I should charge less. Even though I have more demand and my paintings are better.

Figuring time may work with selling steel, but not with art. And newbies need to understand it's not widget selling, which is why it's important to point out the flaws in your formula.

Last edited by RobinZ : 08-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2018, 11:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

It's important to consider the overhead when considering the pricing. Some people are woefully ignorant about how much they spend per painting.

But still, the simple fact is, it's what the market will bear.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
By your logic, Mike, I should have charged more when I started out and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to mix the color I needed, erasing bad layouts, scraping off mistakes, and trashing disasters to start over.

Now that I am more skilled, and therefore WAY more efficient, by your formula, I should charge less. Even though I have more demand and my paintings are better.

Figuring time may work with selling steel, but not with art. And newbies need to understand it's not widget selling, which is why it's important to point out the flaws in your formula.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This debate is exactly what I've been trying to figure out as a new artist! On the one hand I want (in a perfect world) to make back my expenses for materials and a small profit, but on the other hand I'm new so I know that my skill is not as good as more experienced artists' skills yet. That being said, everyone I've shown my first paintings to has said I should significantly increase my price. I know they're being sincere, but just on principle I'm not sure how I feel about doing that. Is the $2 per square inch (plus packaging and shipping?) a better formula to start out with?

And by the way, thank you so much to everyone who's contributing! This forum is invaluable to me as a new artist, I'm so grateful that experienced artists are willing to share their insights!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

As this thread demonstrates, ask a dozen artists any question and you'll get 30 different answers...

As Robin suggests, forget about pricing methods which figure in time, materials and overhead expenses. That's the way lettuce is sold.

Instead, visit your local galleries, art shows and exhibitions and look for work that is of the size and quality of your work. Look at the prices for these "similar" paintings to your paintings.

Using a square inch or lineal inch method is a good way to price your work consistent with similar size and quality work in your local area. Until you achieve a national reputation, keep in mind that all art is "local", even if you sell over the Internet.

So...find out how similar size and quality work in your area is priced. Convert those prices to a square inch or linear inch sum, and use something along those lines to initially price your work.

Keep checking local prices and as they may adjust, then adjust your prices as well.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Virgil, please explain this for me? Thanks.

"keep in mind that all art is "local", even if you sell over the Internet."
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapple115
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This debate is exactly what I've been trying to figure out as a new artist! On the one hand I want (in a perfect world) to make back my expenses for materials and a small profit, but on the other hand I'm new so I know that my skill is not as good as more experienced artists' skills yet. That being said, everyone I've shown my first paintings to has said I should significantly increase my price. I know they're being sincere, but just on principle I'm not sure how I feel about doing that. Is the $2 per square inch (plus packaging and shipping?) a better formula to start out with?

And by the way, thank you so much to everyone who's contributing! This forum is invaluable to me as a new artist, I'm so grateful that experienced artists are willing to share their insights!

Hi Dapple, and welcome! If everyone is telling you to increase your prices, then look around like Virgil suggests and look on the internet and get an idea what that square inch should be. Why $2 and not $1.75? Or $2.25?

And how do you intend to get those paintings out of your studio and in front of buyers? If you don't have and work a plan, it doesn't matter if you charge a penny a square inch or a hundred dollars a square inch or anything in between. There are many paths. Pick one, work it hard, and see if it works for you.