Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air French Easel Question – Help Pretty Please!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’ve got one of those Jullian French Easels from just before they began making them in China. The back leg is wobbly at the square block, but there is no way to tighten the screw. Now, is the back leg supposed to wobble from side to side for stability on an uneven surface, or is this a faulty easel that needs to be tighten? And if it needs to be tightened… how?

I’ve had this problem for more than a decade, but honestly, it’s been driving me mad the whole time!

Suggestions, HELP, anything.

And please, I’ve read the lovely, amazingly awesome Jack Schuller (God bless you, wherever you are!) post a zillion times, no need to re-post it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Perhaps an image will say it better. The block at the top is wobbly. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time! :wave:

For anyone else who has this problem, here is the solution. Carefully remove the brass plate and tighten the two screws.

Cheers!

thanks for bringing this up, I have a very old French Easel which I bought second hand, and very cheap! which has the same problem… I will look behind that little brass plate later!.
    I do have a very nice Mabef easel, which I think has a superior leg system but I have been only using that for my portrait groups… until the other one wears out plein air painting!

Mac

thanks for bringing this up, I have a very old French Easel which I bought second hand, and very cheap! which has the same problem… I will look behind that little brass plate later!.
    I do have a very nice Mabef easel, which I think has a superior leg system but I have been only using that for my portrait groups… until the other one wears out plein air painting!

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Sep-2018/14751-IMG_0952.JPG[/IMG]

Mac

You are welcome, Mac.

It was devastating to remove the brass plate as a nail had gotten lost in the process. But then, there is now an opportunity to get a new brass plate with my name or business on it, cha!

Your easel might have been affordable to you, but it certainly doesn’t look ‘cheap’. It looks well loved. Mabef’s box easel is beautiful. There is one calling me at the local art shop, but there is one issue I have with it… there is no metal plate between the basement drawers, and as such, all of my little precious brushes would fall out.

Perhaps it isn’t really an issue, but it is something that Jullian provides, even on the cheapest unit. What do you think? What are your experiences?

mlaiuppa

Mabef’s box easel is beautiful. There is one calling me at the local art shop, but there is one issue I have with it… there is no metal plate between the basement drawers, and as such, all of my little precious brushes would fall out.

Perhaps it isn’t really an issue, but it is something that Jullian provides, even on the cheapest unit. What do you think? What are your experiences?

The drawer of my Mabef holds things very securely; they don’t fall out.

I just bought a Mabef Easel Sketchbox Backpacker M/23 from The Fine Art Store and it has metal dividers in the drawer that can be moved a bit, plus a folding palette on top of the drawer to keep everything secure. I don’t use the palette so am thinking of replacing it with a home made shelf extension. I’m going to be putting in some foam brush holders from Judson’s Art to hold my brushes.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Runs with brushes

. Mabef’s box easel is beautiful. There is one calling me at the local art shop, but there is one issue I have with it… there is no metal plate between the basement drawers, and as such, all of my little precious brushes would fall out.

I’m not sure I understand the problem… my Mabef has a metal plate?

I bought a half size ‘Jullian’ from Dick Blicks… it was so cheap in comparison to what is available here that I thought it was worth paying the freight, but the quality was so poor :eek: I now keep it in reserve for trips where I might want to walk a distance from the car to paint… which is not often!

Mac

I’m not sure I understand the problem… my Mabef has a metal plate?
        [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Sep-2018/14751-IMG_0964.JPG[/IMG]

I bought a half size ‘Jullian’ from Dick Blicks… it was so cheap in comparison to what is available here that I thought it was worth paying the freight, but the quality was so poor :eek: I now keep it in reserve for trips where I might want to walk a distance from the car to paint… which is not often!

Mac

I’m talking about this piece of metal. Yes, I’ve had nothing but trouble with Blick’s easels, but they are quick to remedy any issues, so it isn’t a huge concern. Even this easel came completely broken and useless. Wood glue and a multi-funtion tool have become my best friends! I call myself an “easel mechanic” Haha!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.