Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Matte or gloss varnish?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    thetech

I know what you choose to use may depend on the painting itself (colors, subject, intended use), but what do you find yourself using more often matte or gloss varnish, or none at all, or acrylic medium (or even something unusual)?

I haven’t been varnishing, but I have a painting that is destined to hang in someones kitchen and I think I should (not to mention I used a little glazing medium and now the sheen is not even across the painting). There are some dark colors in it so I was thinking gloss, I was also thinking that it might be easier to wipe clean if it were gloss versus matte.

Can I just use glazing medium to get a gloss finish? Or is that significantly different than varnish?

Also I’ll add that I have a bottle of Pebeo matte varnish that Has never been opened that I purchased at an office supply store that was going out of business 10 years ago (for like $1). The varnish has completely separated in the bottle and can’t be shaken back into suspension. If I can stir it back together do you think it would be safe to use?

I also have 2 bottles of Winsor and Newton dammar varnish that says it’s for oils (paid 50 cents each, I couldn’t resist)…can that be used on acrylic? Is it worthy of an experiment at least?

Thetech :D

Mike L

Glazing medium is for thinning your paint for layering it (glazing). Varnish is meant to protect the finished painting from adverse conditions (fingers, dust, etc.) Maybe there is someone here who has successfully used glazing medium as a varnish, but that’s not very likely.

Sticking with varnish for a protective coat is probably the best decision. Try gloss, satin, and matte on some small pieces to see how they look to you. The problem I have with gloss is that it reflects from every surface in the painting so portions are blocked by reflected light no matter which direction it is viewed. Gloss on a very smooth surface is appealing, but not on anything that has varying surfaces and physical planes – for me.

Some oil varnishes are supposed to be acceptable for acrylic paint as well as oils, but the reverse isn’t recommended. Again, experimentation might give you results you’re pleased with. As to separation, almost every paint, primer, or varnish I’ve ever worked with on wood says to stir well before using. Even the spray stuff has to be shaken up to mix it up. So, a good shake or stir probably is just the ticket.

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Guide

Have you considered removable varnish. If the painting gets dirty, the varnish can be removed and then a new layer can be added. It does require an isolation coat.

My preference is for gloss varnish. It is crystalline and really helps the colors shine.

Satin and matt varnish has a matting agent added which is a white powder and it can interfere with some of the dark colors, graying them down a bit.

In the end it is your choice and you need to be happy. Give all of them a try on a sample work and see how you respond to them.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

thetech

I did manage to stir and then shake the matte varnish to re-emulsify it, it looks fine with no lumps so i only assume it will be fine to use, I will varnish something unimportant with it and see how it works and looks.

Thanks for the advice, I may try the dammar varnish on something old (acrylic), just to see what happens. I do have an oil painting that has to be bordering on 6-7 months old that I may varnish as well just to see how it performs, otherwise what am I going to do with it (I’m not really an oil painter, just experimenting)?

I’ll order a pint of the gloss acrylic varnish and test it out. Considering that on this painting most of the background is a very dark, I really don’t want to gray any of it out.

Thanks.

The damar is hardened tree sap dissolved in turpentine with a bit of beeswax thrown in for good measure.

It will yellow over time. It will eventually crack. It stinks and you will have a terrible time getting it out of your brush.

Other than that, it’s great.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

thetech

The damar is hardened tree sap dissolved in turpentine with a bit of beeswax thrown in for good measure.

It will yellow over time. It will eventually crack. It stinks and you will have a terrible time getting it out of your brush.

Other than that, it’s great.

So…what your telling me is to find some other sucker to take it off my hands? If I get $1 a bottle I’d make money on the deal.

Davkin

I use gloss with just a bit of matt mixed in to knock the shine down just a tad.

David

thetech

If I put a coat of gloss on and I find it too shiny can I put another layer on with matte mixed with gloss? I assume I could?

Davkin

I don’t see why you couldn’t.

David

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Matte or gloss varnish?’ is closed to new replies.