WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Help with plasticine? Newbie error...

Hi All,

Help of any sort, would be greatly appreciated. If you have any links to this issue elsewhere, I would be much obliged.

I tried searching the forums, but came up with nothing helpful, other than generalities.

I've sculpted a lizard man head, that I'm really pleased with, (not quite complete, but almost!) . I did it in children's plasticine, which I assume would be sulphur free. That seems to be my ID-10-T error.

The problem is that I never expected to be pleased with it - and now I want to make a mould and cast it - probably in plaster. And I'd like a re-useable mould, as a couple of family members want a copy.

Does anyone know how I would go about making a mould from a children's plasticine item?

I've searched all of google, youtube, and the forums, however everyone is talking about artist's plastilina and such, most of which contain sulphur, or have properties entirely unlike children's plasticine.

I was thinking a soft silicone mould that I could make a separate 'shell' for, as a support - you know, where the shell is in two pieces, but the silicone is a one piece.

Has anyone any experience of this?

So grateful for any advice on my classic newbie mistake.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Help with plasticine? Newbie error...

What brand of clay is it? The Plasticine that I have always used a few hours in the freezer tends to stiffen it up which is helpful when mold making.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
My Blog

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Re: Help with plasticine? Newbie error...

Thanks!

I think it's Belgrave school plasticine, but I'm not sure... the label has made it's way to the label afterlife.

It's not really about hardening it, it's more like the chemical compatibility with the moud material. I know silicone has problems with sulphur containing plastilinas and plasticines, but is there any other known problem with kid's plasticine and a product like Pinkysil?

Would the mineral oil in the plasticine cause an issue with the silicone?
Or would latex be preferred for some reason?