Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi all;

Anyone here paint window displays… Like stores for the holidays etc?

I am interested in learning more about it from someone that knows.

I know there are different types of paints that will work from hobby to enamels. I am thinking along the lines of house paint.. But need more information about using it and cleaning it off.

I am a bit intimidated by the enamels.. Since this would be my first go at it I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

Cher

LisaCarneyArt

Hi Cher,

I have done some in the past for a local bar, My designs where very simple and cartoon like. I used gouache and it looked good. It was easy to take off by using a window scrapper then washing the window.

I suppose water based housepaint wood be good too.

Lisa

Hi Cher :wave:
        You might like to take a look at Ruth’s thread in Decorative Arts
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241166
        I am sure Ruth would be able to help with tips and tricks as she has been doing this for quite some time now :D

Mary Woodul

How interesting! I had never thought of this. One learns more things in this forum, it is wonderful!!! :D

Jakeally;

Thank you for the direction.

This is not something I normally do, but hey when opportunity knocks.

I never thought about using the gouache. I have heard of using the house paint, but concerned on how difficult it is to remove, just in case I am the one who has to remove it. LOL

Thank you again for the help.

valchina612

Oh wow, I’d never thought of this — it’s so exciting. I hope you can get in to this sort of thing Cherri, as it would be such wonderful fun, and you would be getting your Art right out there amongst the public. It could lead to almost full-time work, I am sure. I hope you will keep us updated on how you go.

Val. :wave:

Penny220

Hi Cherri :wave:

I paint my windows all the time at Christmas. Simple acrylics will do the trick and as mentioned before they scrape or wash right off when you soak them with Windex. Your new foud Magic Colors will also work for glass. The hardest part with window painting is deciding which side of the window you plan to paint if you are going for a depth in your design. You can either begin with a solid background so your design will not appear through the backside of the glass and then build as you normally would or you can reverse paint and finish with a solid color background (usually white). Reverse painting can get a little tricky so keep your designs simple at first until you master it.

I have not mastered it as I have not had need to but prior to computer graphics many movie backgrounds were reverse glass paintings and it is or can be an art in and of itself.

The basic answer to your question is any paint will do if it is to be temporary. If you are looking for a more permanent solution you can acid etch or sandblast the glass to give it more tooth and use a more permanent paint such as urethanes or Magic Colors.

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson "No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

Hi Penny, just lurking by (it’s what I do best on WC:) and read what you said about reverse glass painting. I did this way way back in the 70’s. Yes, it is a art on it’s own.
                    I had great fun with it because thinking in reverse is natural for me.( Dyslexia) Sometimes I even have to paint upside down to get it right! You just gave me some marvelous ideas for Christmas!! Thank You :)

Penny220

lurking and browsing is what WC is for!!!

I know many Dyslexic artists and I think you guys have an advantage over the rest of us :mad:

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson "No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

When I was a kid I was an assistant to a guy who had a sign painting business and we sometimes painted indoor window signs. We used enamels rather than laytex, mainly to avoid the color loss that can happen when the paint is exposed to direct sun for long periods of time and the heat damage it can get, at least that was his reasoning to me. The fumes from that stuff could be quite lethal in tight spaces, so always try to get ventilation if you use enamels. I would imagine acrylics to be acceptable, though. Gouache I wouldn’t recommend, unless you can get it in large amounts; although it does flow well on small plastic sheets or glass panes.

David Blaine Clemons
                        ----------------
                        My Website
                        My Blog

ponting

I found that the best paint for Christmas window painting is poster paint over felt pen. Draw your designs with the black very wide felt and go for it with the paint. Easily removable later.

Cheers, Dianna

www.ponting.com ******** "Don't think it all away" - Mary Pratt
                          Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.