Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Do your Customers want real art Giclees or cheap "poster" prints?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Lunar_flower

I’d love to hear your thoughts or experiences!! :wave:
        I’m really curious to what other artists find their customers purchase. I know print on demand is running rampant in the market right now and offers an affordable option but I don’t find it to hold the artistic stigma of an archival print on quality paper. Maybe that is just it, an old stigma?
        ( I may be closer to knowing myself as I placed a sample order with printful and more traditional order on gicleetoday last week)

Does it just boil down to how good of a salesman you are? I fear offering competitive cheap prints ends up cheapening your art over the long haul..is this totally out of date or a poor person mentality? Haha.:clear:
        I’m also trying to do right by my clients who have purchased the original paintings as well, wondering how they feel about reproductions on the market of a non-commissioned piece they own.

Again would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with customers and your choice of print offerings.

contumacious

You may already know this, but a Giclée is just a fancy name for an inkjet print done with pigment based inks. Inkjet prints are much better looking than any type of photo offset printing in my opinion.

There are high quality printers out there that won’t break the bank that you can use to print your own Giclées up to 13×19 starting at around $150 (Epson Workforce series). You can produce superb looking prints even with the lower priced 4 color printers if you use the factory ink or high quality aftermarket inks from the likes of Precision Colors. Avoid all the cheap aftermarket inks. Bump up to the level of the Canon Pro10 ($450 with current rebate) and your prints will probably look better than the online printing services, if you calibrate your printer.

I can’t say on what my customers prefer as I have never been asked about the details of prints made from original work. I do offer archival, pigment based inkjet prints on archival papers printed on a Canon Pro 10 using Precision Colors inks. Often you cannot tell the difference between an original watercolor and a print done on cotton rag inkjet paper. I do label them as Giclées since that is what they are and some people expect that designation.

Harold Roth

Some people can’t tell the difference between a pigment ink on thick cotton paper and a dye-based ink on thin cellulose paper, but I can, and I am the one in charge. A good quality print costs a lot more, but if they don’t want good quality, they can go buy cheap prints at the dollar store or make their own art.

Does cheap sell? Yes. But cheap products don’t make me feel good about what I do, so for me, they are not worth it. And I don’t want cheap customers. I have noticed that the less someone spends, the more likely they are to complain.

I was making my own giclees on an Epson 3880, but it just became too much of an aggravation to me. So now I have gicleetoday.com print and drop-ship them and add $20 to the print price. This is the same quality ink and paper as I was doing myself, so I feel good about them.

That said, I do not sell many prints and never have. Maybe less than 10% of painting sales. For me, people are more likely to buy a small painting. I have sold plenty of small watercolors I can do in 1/2 hour for $50-$70.

bongo

I fear offering competitive cheap prints ends up cheapening your art over the long haul..is this totally out of date or a poor person mentality? Haha.:clear:
                    I’m also trying to do right by my clients who have purchased the original paintings as well, wondering how they feel about reproductions on the market of a non-commissioned piece they own.

I would think that having a lot of prints in circulation shows that the painting is popular/ in demand – which will likely I think increase value and desirability of the one and only original.

A strategy that I keep considering (but haven’t done). Is to make large cheap poster-size prints. I think a lot of my paintings would make good “dorm-room” fodder and appeal to young (soon to be) yuppies and techies. They would be priced NOT to make to make a profit- but to act as advertisement to get my name and product in front of the public (and increase the value of the originals)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

Robin

All I can figure out about MY customers and prints is that those who buy prints are not going to commission a portrait. They are very happy with a print that “looks just like” their dog or cat. I have enclosed a flyer with a portfolio of my portraits and have had zero response.

So prints, for me, are not a way to “get out there”.

Robin

blondheim12

I have never sold reproductions. InsteadI offer a variety of price ranges for original art. My collectors have no interest I. Copies.

Linda Blondheim Art
                            http://www.lindablondheim.com
                            Blondheim Art and Stories
                            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

Robin

They’ve paid a lot of bills since I started a year or so ago. And it’s almost passive. Click Print, slip into a cello sleeve, slip into an rigid envelope and slap a label on it. I’d be surprised if it took me 5 minutes from opening the order to having it sitting by the door to toss into the mailbox the next time I walk my dog.

I just started offering my best sellers matted. I buy them in bulk and spend an hour printing, matting, and putting into the rigid envelope. Then, I just have to print the mailing label when the order comes in and I make about $4 or $5 off the mats on top of the profit off the print, itself.

I’ve found it’s a totally different market and one I didn’t think existed til I tested it.

I just can’t paint fast enough to offer inexpensive originals that can compete with them.

Robin

SurrealityArt

I can only speak from my experience, but having worked for years in the field selling my artwork primarily through galleries, it seems that Giclee prints are the way to go.
                                    It is not the print quality, or printing pigments, or quality paper etc that sells the Giclee. Artists know that quality materials make quality products, but thats not what Giclee buyers think. The actual reason why people buy Giclees, are simply because they love the original artwork but do not want the original price tag, so they become prepared to buy a lessor quality product for a smaller price. Artists that sell Giclees are selling left and right because it is a known accepted medium, not because its the greatest.
                                    ~T.J.

Use Her Name

I think I am old enough to consider giclees or ink jet prints as “posters.” I wouldn’t pay more than $10 for a poster. If I were not an artist myself, I would only buy original art.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Robin

So why would an artist not buy original art?

Robin

bongo

I can only speak from my experience, ….
                                                It is not the print quality, or printing pigments, or quality paper etc that sells the Giclee. Artists know that quality materials make quality products, but thats not what Giclee buyers think. The actual reason why people buy Giclees, are simply because they love the original artwork but do not want the original price ….

I’m not speaking from experience, but my intuition agrees. I am about to do large C prints of my more popular paintings. C print is a fancy word for a photographic print – as giclee is a fancy word for ink jet print.

As far as print quality you will find confirmation biased reasons for each.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                STUDIOBONGO

falcon012

It is really quite simple; if your buyer perceives what you are selling is a good value for the money, it will usually sell. So whichever way you decide to go keep that in mind. You will have to try a few things before you eventually figure out who are your buyers and what sells well in the market.

Profi9le

I visit Santa Fe a lot to visit the galleries, and I am simply astounded at the number of galleries that are now offering reproductions at amazingly high prices. I mean, $2000+ for a framed REPRODUCTION? Who in their right mind would pay that for something other than the original? Clearly, someone is, or they wouldn’t be taking up wall space. (Meanwhile, beautiful originals by the same artists can be bought at the same price…)

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
                                                        www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Robin

Michael, I was in a gallery on Los Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale, and the saleswoman there had me believing they were originals. And I knew better.

Robin

contumacious

Michael, I was in a gallery on Los Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale, and the saleswoman there had me believing they were originals. And I knew better.

That sounds like what the Thomas Kinkade galleries do or did. My friend came home from a trip to California years ago with an “Original” Kinkade that he paid $1800 for. It was a print that Kinkade had added a few brushstrokes to, numbered it and signed it. He was assured that it would more than double in value over the next few years.

Try searching Thomas Kinkade Original Print (a clear oxymoron to say the least!) on ebay.

They start at $90 or so and surprisingly go up to unbelievable ASKING prices for reproductions. The bulk of them sell for under $300.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=84720&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1&_nkw=thomas+kinkade+signed+original+print&_sop=16

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.