Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio March 2019 Watercolor Challenge – Ponte Vecchio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

A landscape this month. In 2008 we did a tour of Italy and on our day in Florence, I stood alongside the River Arno and sketched the Ponte Vecchio.

So here’s a photo from the RIL taken by javierrocca more or less from the same spot.

Here’s the plein air sketch I did in 2008:

And here’s an ink and wash copy I did back in 2003 of a painting by one of my favourite English artists – James Fletcher-Watson. 15×10 Langton Rough.

Enjoy the challenge!

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thank you, Doug. That is easy for you and your abilities, but looks tough to me!

Joy
    C & C encouraged!

I suggest you draw some pencil guidelines to get the proportions right then gradually build up the picture. Although I am used to drawing architectural subjects, I start with outlines and generally fill in the details. In the case of the Fletcher Watson copy, I made extensive use of my rolling ruler to draw all the lines. The shadows are important and help define the structure. I actually enjoy working through all the detail. I later added tiny figures in the open archways to add a bit of life.

Here is the location on Streetviws.

Doug

Johndk

Excited. I love Florence, and Ponte Vecchio in particular.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

Thanks Doug for the landscape challenge, will give it a try. Have seen this many times on some tv shows but didn’t know the name of the place. Bit of a challenge but will try.

LIL

calvin_0

here is my attempt. I cant really figure out how to achieve the cream brown color of the wall, so it ended up being a more of a yellow brown instead…

Nice work Calvin, you captured this famous landmark. Maybe add an inverted reflection of the underside of the arches in the river?

Doug

calvin_0

Maybe add an inverted reflection of the underside of the arches in the river?

Doug

do you mean the circled part? I think I could. I’ll post the updated version once I’m done with it.

calvin_0

How this? in order to put the reflection of the arches, i have to pretty much put the whole building into the reflection…

Check the Fletcher Watson copy.

Doug

ArtySinger

Decided to go monotone on this one with a line and wash using indigo & black wash. It actualylooks more blue on the painting.

Sandie
                        https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/sandiecroftart.html

That’s super Sandie, sorry I’m slow in responding, I’m on a weekend holiday break with spotty WiFi.

Doug

ArtySinger

Thanks Doug, enjoy your break.

Sandie
                            https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/sandiecroftart.html

Michele Clamp

Well this was ridiculously hard and in the middle of it I started wondering why I bother painting at all. Had two goes – here’s the second and I feel more successful

And the first which started well and then fell apart

Michele http://micheleclamp.com/

This was quite a challenge! 7.5×10. I resorted to using pen and wc pencils in some places

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.