Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters Bouguereau copy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BarbaraBebb

I haven’t been very active on WC for many years but I’ve picked up my paintbrushes again to participate in this wonderful forum. I used to really enjoy trying to copy the masters and so here goes…………

Barb Bebb

Richard P

That’s a nice painting Barbara. It does have a bouguereau feel but I don’t know the original painting to give you any C&C (if you want any).

BarbaraBebb

Thanks Richard. Your comments are much appreciated.

I’ve attached the Bouguereau reference picture that I used. As you can see, I rotated the picture before copying.

Barb Bebb

Richard P

Thank you for posting the original image :) Let me know if you would like any C&C.

Dorrart

I love the way Bouguereau’s figures occupy a space in their atmosphere. You’ve come very close to capturing that. What you have done is lovely in its own right.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

BarbaraBebb

Richard and Dorrart. Many thanks for responding and yes, I would welcome C&C from you both. I’m not hoping or looking to paint anywhere near to the quality and brilliance of the master Bouguereau. His unrivalled talent and patience painting in glazes are far beyond my expectations, however, I love his work and enjoy doing what I can but never expecting too much of myself.

I’ve attached another copy of his work………………..

Barb Bebb

Richard P

Hi Barbara,

Looking at both paintings you’ve posted I see lovely brushwork, colours and technique. However you have a much flatter range of values across the skin especially. The original painting has much darker darks and a lot lighter areas. I think you are thinking you have to reserve the whiter values for the highlights or areas on the dress, but that’s not the case.

Here is your painting in black and white and reduced to 8 values. See how few changes there are across the skin.

[ATTACH]863487[/ATTACH]

Now look at the original in the same method and see how many different values there are but also how lighter the values are (almost looking overblown).

[ATTACH]863488[/ATTACH]

If you get the values right, you will have a more 3 dimensional and realistic look.

Hope that helps,
                                Richard

BarbaraBebb

Thank you ever so much Richard. Your turning them into black and white certainly helps me see where I’ve gone wrong as I agree that compared to Bougereau’s masterpieces they look very flat. I think that I may use your trick and turn my next painting into b&w to show me the values and I’m sure it will help. I much appreciate your advice. Thank you. Barbara

Barb Bebb

Richard P

You are welcome :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.