Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Solvents,blending

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jdolecek48

I would like to try to learn blending with solvents after reading so much about it. Can you recommend to me specific type and manufacturer of odorless solvent for this technique?

Also how is this done? Do you just dip your pencil in a cup of the solvent and then wipe it dry with a towel and then blend?

Is this technique better than using a scallion blending stick? Or is it just different? Will each have different results? Is one technique better than the other? Are they both good for blending, as well as fading?

laika

Gamsol from Gamblin and Sansodor from Windsor & Newton are two popular (supposedly) odorless mineral spirits.

I have used a small brush dipped in turpentine to spread and blend oil-based colored pencils; I assumed that that’s the way it’s done, but I could be wrong.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
            - Otto Rank

frida

Keep in mind that odourless solvents STILL are not something designed for our lungs…!

Don’t water-soluble colored pencils appeal to you? Some of them, like Faber Castell Albretch Durer are excellent!

In any case, you never dip the pencils in liquid if you wish to keep them in a good state. Just use the CP dry and use a brush with water or solvent on it, always a small amount of liquid, after getting rid of the excess on a piece of paper towel.

This has been actually my only experience with water-solubles, used as a first step, and complemented with dry applications along the way. Some artists start with a watercolour wash and do the same. There are many ways to combine healthier products…

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

LoganArt

I pour gamsol in a tiny cup and periodically wipe with a q-tip dipped in it. Be judicious about this; too much rubbing or gamsol (I’m not sure which) removes the color instead of blending.

It works differently than the blending stick. The color blends more smoothly, and for me at least there’s more of an overall blend so if I wanted, say, the underneath color to show through I would use a blending stick instead.

I’m not terribly experienced so others may have a different answer.

C&C always welcome
                    Pingpongfan

I have just come across a tortillon being used for blending in small spaces. They come in small sizes. Put just the tip into the OMS and blend. If you change colours, you would have to wait for the tortillon to dry and then sand the colour off on very fine sandpaper. They are very cheap so it is not going to break the bank to have quite a few. In the demonstration, a very small container with a screw top lid with a sponge in it and a small amount of OMS was used for portability. I haven’t tried it yet but it sounds and looked interesting.
                        Vena

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.