Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #541: May 9-17, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Eye

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21360136#post21360136

Rules for Hunting:
        * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #541: May 9-17
        —————————————————–
        acorn or seeds or seedpod
        flower
        tree
        plant
        bulb

leaf (challenge#1 –3 different kinds of leaf shape)
        no leg animal
        2 leg animal
        4 leg animal
        animal shown as sign/book cover/design object/building/sculpture/art piece

ticket stub/event souvenir
        bank note /coin (challenge#2 –3 different kinds)
        relating to writing
        your art making space
        where you go or what you do to get new inspiration

significant to you (pls. tell us how)
        Your no-no… but you sneak it in sometimes
        You have plenty of…
        On your wish list (so go borrow/find this thing from other to sketch)
        Something you think, it will be gone forever soon…

Yummy
        Spicy
        Always with you on a trip
        Help you relax
        Make you happy
        You wish to donate this item

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
        https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Thank you for the list, Ai. I have three four legged animals at the moment.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
        My website https://jocastilloart.com

Pine Cone

Ai – thank you for hosting the new list – lots of possibilities!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

item #1 – makes me happy

twilight[/color]

This is a painting of twilight last evening. I painted it in acrylics onto a hollow, round tube (~2.25″ long) that I made from polymer clay. I painted the coppery band later (this morning) but the rest was from life.

This is a PHOTO of the painting on the round clay tube, NOT a sketch of the tube.

Sorry for the bad photo. The real painting is mellower, maybe like the ocean.

Edit: Tried to color correct it in ArtStudio Pro – still a bad photo, but not quite as awful :(

Materials:

Premo polymer clay
                Golden Gel Mediums (acrylics)
                Golden Artist Colors (acrylics)
                M. Graham Acrylic Artists’ Color
                Winsor & Newton Artists’ Acrylic
                Liquitex Professional Heavy Body Acrylic

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, border, downsize, and export.[/color]

jmfletch

Ai – Thanks for a thoughtful list. I cannot find your Everyday in Amaya 3028 art group. :crying: But saw a few of Jeanne’s posts.

Pine Cone – Love it! I replied to your flute question in last Hunt so go back and check it. :)

Keep sketching
                    Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Joan T

Ai, thanks for the new list.

Pine Cone – great colors in the painting. His big us the tube?

1- my art making place as we drone here in the car (my lap)

2- there is plenty of hay in this shed
                        3- 4 legged animal

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Pine Cone

Joe – Thanks :)

Joan – Thanks – it’s 6mm in diameter and 56mm long (1/4″ x 2-3/16″). It started out as a perfectly round tube. After baking, I deliberately distressed it with a thick, rough coat of one of Golden’s fantastic acrylic mediums: “Coarse Molding Paste.” When that had dried to the touch, I decided to paint on it from life. That was the third step. It fit Ai’s new list, and the 4th step (the coppery band) wasn’t finished until after Ai’s new list appeared, so that’s why I posted it here.

Your car interior made me smile :) So true! Plus beautiful – only you could have pulled it off so well! The second sketch is wonderful too, but I want to set the furry one free :eek: :heart:

Pine Cone

Everyone – If you want my sky twilight painting taken down because it isn’t on paper, or flat, or for any other reason, please press the button in the lower right corner of Post #4 to report it to the moderators.

Please know though that this skinny little tube was years in the making. I’d tried and tried years ago to make one and failed miserably. It was very discouragng. Then along came a Wet Canvas angel named “honey hatter.” She created a method for me, and took a ton of pictures of every step, and posted them here on Wet Canvas as a tutorial for me. And following her instructions, I was finally able to create a tube around a narrow knitting needle, after all these years!

It means more to me than she can ever know that she did this, on her own initiative, to help a total stranger like me. It had to be a lot of work for her. And the whole situation has changed my life, as well as given me a new way to create and paint.

Thank you honey hatter!

Ai- thanks for hosting, nice list,,,interesting opportunities:cat:

Pine Cone ====cool horizon tube.,,,,magic wand of the day.:heart:

Joan – ooooh, love the atmospheric quality of the in the car sketch, would have never thought of putting the color all over like that…..I adore the donkey sketch……lots of beautiful colors and diagonals….wonderful!!! You manage so well to maintain a good sense of proportion…….very admirable:)

Hi Joe and Jo:wave:

Robin
                                The mediator between head and hands must
                                be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                                http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Pine Cone, love the wand/tube. Seems difficult to do. We use all media and surfaces here. I recall sketching outside in the dirt with a stick for one challenge. Have fun!

Joan, hard to believe you do so well in the car. Nice sketch. Love the donkey and hay. Loving all the sketches.

Hi Robin and Joe and all y’all.

I sketched on my iPad with Brushes and the Apple pencil. Took forever with the moving animals to boot!

Number 1, 4 leg animal

Eye

PineCone: Wow…so glowingly happy…is that meant to be a part of jewelly ???

Joan: Fantastic art space… never think of that…I agree with Robin that your haystack + animal is amazing…

Jo: Wow… such amazing sketches of all your pooches… love them all… I will send you Juliet…for your collection…;)

Hello everyone …:)

Well today I went to see the doctor and my thyroid and cholesterol stats. have been back to normal comparing to 6 months ago… getting encouraging words from this tough doctor make me happy … but I have no sketchbook with me…I was worry before going in cause our Italian trip last month…too much pizza, gelato, and tiramisu.. I guess lots of Roma tomatoes and plenty of walking in that trip also helps countering those treat effects… Cheers…

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

jmfletch

Joan – someone already said it, but love the atmosphere you captured in the car. On the donkey and hay the shadowing grades my eye.

Pine Cone – While most of us sketch in one media or another it is Scavenger Hunt not Sketch Hunt. All art forms are acceptable including sculpture, wood carving, etc.

Jo – all 3 are well done. The face on Romeo is just adorable.

Robin, Ai, lurkers… :wave:

1 flower – on cherry tomato plant
                                        2 leaf and challenge (pathos ivy, tomato plant, peace lily plant)
                                        Out of my comfort zone using watercolor in 9×12 in watercolor sketchbook.

Keep sketching, carving, sculpting, creating, :angel:
                                        Joe

Looking at it posted, the flower should have had a more contrasting background. Was a bit hurried as sun was hitting where I was stitting. That’s my excuse and sticking with it.

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Pine Cone

Ai – I’m so glad your health is strong again! Movement feels so good – maybe you can keep moving even now, just like you did so much in Italy :cool: Thanks for your kind words – not jewelry (no longer have what would be needed) – haven’t decided what to do with it :confused:

Robin and JoC – Thanks so much! I love that you called it a magic wand – I’ve already got one all sketched out based on this one. Would it count as “artwork from life” if I made a magic wand based on this itty tube? :lol:

JoC and Joe – [/B]Thanks for your encouragement about using any surface and any technique. NO MORE GUILT!!! 🎨

JoC again – You painted all three! :heart: :heart: :heart: I was secretly hoping you would – they’re so adorable and you’ve portrayed their spirits beautifully!

Joe again – Every time you paint with watercolors, I think what a natural you are. Beautiful shades of green – all are wonderfully drawn and shaded. And the delicacy of the flower is superb :music:

Joe, love the flower and leaves. Tiny photo, though. Heh, heh. Hard to see.

Eye

Joe: Wonderful flower and all leaf varieties… I agree with Jo though, I wish the photo is bigger… well done.

PineCone: Thanks…

Ai

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.