Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Make you own binder medium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    PetaPaints

Does anyone know if you can make binder medium using PVA glue and water and if so what ratio? Many thanks:clap:

Guide

Not sure what you mean by binder medium? What is your intention?

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

PetaPaints

To use with acrylic paints to thin them but to still keep them stable an not over watered down

Guide

Still being far to vague. If you are wanting to make your own paints using PVA glue and powdered pigments, it is worth a try but doubt it will have a high quality. May end up costing you more than it is worth and there is no guarantee that it will work or be permanent.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

autolisp

Before you attempt to make a medium which will in all probability give unpredictable results. Have a look at the ‘Golden’ range of acrylic mediums. Find and use one to get the effects you want, then you can start making a DIY version because you will have (hopefully) seen what effect you are trying to achieve.

autolisp

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

ribeyedsmile

I am not a chemist or anything of the kind.

But maybe this thought is apropriate.

PVA glue is the same as acrylic binder in that it comes from the same sources.

But a hotdog may be beef and a hamburger and a primerib. The cow may be the source but dont give me a hotdog if i paid for primerib

PVA has the same source but has moved down a series of enhancements for a certain effect. This is the same for acrylic but designers of acrylic see it as prime rib as compared to elmers glue.

Use glue as a medium. It will do it but liquitex gloss medium will dry clearer and have greater clarity of color.

just my opinion
                            michael

[FONT=Arial]Michael Sherman

PetaPaints

Reason why I ask is I am at 3 year course Art school. Info there is pretty reliable Have vague recollection of a teacher telling us that this is what binder was. (it was the binder used to prepare your canvas). He also suggested using it when thinning out your paint – almost as a spreader. I’d run in and ask only we are on a month break and have a big project to do and rather than run into supply shop and get the lovely labeled stuff thought I’d do my own seeing I have plenty of PVA glue

autolisp

Well. When you go back to your art course teacher. I would love to hear what his/her answer/s are. Would you post them here so that we can read what they were? Thanks

autolisp

The fact that your teacher said PVA was good throws into question that the info there is reliable. I’m shocked really. I’d go back and ask your tutor about the archival and acid-free nature of PVA and which brands are considered professional quality.

For a children’s painting class, it’s an easy medium. I’d never recommend using glue instead of a properly formulated medium for fine art.

If you’re creating a practice piece of course, then by all means go for it. Keep in mind that working with good paint will, however, be a very different experience so if you don’t use it now you’ll need to relearn how you paint later. What brand you use really won’t matter so try to find one with a flow texture that you like to work with.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

bemoored

Sounds like distemper (wikipedia). There’s a few references to this on wetcanvas using PVA glue:

http://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=distemper+pva+site%3Awetcanvas.com

(PVA + distemper on wetcanvas)

"Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." -- J.B.S. Haldane

Rick G

PVA glue is the same as acrylic binder in that it comes from the same sources.

But a hotdog may be beef and a hamburger and a primerib. The cow may be the source but dont give me a hotdog if i paid for primerib

PVA has the same source but has moved down a series of enhancements for a certain effect. This is the same for acrylic but designers of acrylic see it as prime rib as compared to elmers glue.
                                            l

PVA doesn’t come from the same source as acrylic medium. PVA stands for polyvinyl acetate and is used most commonly in woodworking and other glues. Acrylic medium is the same binder as is used in the manufacture of acrylic paints. Basically, it’s acrylic paint without the pigment. I have no idea what you get when you mix pigment with PVA, but it’s not acrylic paint.

ribeyedsmile

are they both from petroleum?

or is it from a plant

i thought both are from oil.

autolisp

I think what we have here is a common misconception of: If it is water miscible it is an ‘Acrylic’. If not, it is not an acrylic paint. I know that watercolours are water miscible!

autolisp

ribeyedsmile

Ya see, I am an idiot. I can’t quite understand.

Does this website say that both PVC and Acrylic paint come from petroleum.
                                                        Dead Dinosaurs etc

Intermediates and Derivatives:

Petrochemical intermediates are generally produced by chemical conversion of primary petrochemicals to form more complicated derivative products (see graphic on the left).
                                                        Petrochemical derivative products can be made in a variety of ways: directly from primary petrochemicals; through intermediate products which still contain only carbon and hydrogen; and, through intermediates which incorporate chlorine, nitrogen or oxygen in the finished derivative. In some cases, they are finished products; in others, more steps are needed to arrive at the desired composition.
                                                        Of all the processes used, one of the most important is polymerization. It is used in the production of plastics, fibers and synthetic rubber, the main finished petrochemical derivatives.
                                                        Some typical petrochemical intermediates are:
                                                        vinyl acetate for paint, paper and textile coatings
                                                        vinyl chloride for polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
                                                        resin manufacture
                                                        ethylene glycol for polyester textile fibers
                                                        styrene which is important in rubber and plastic manufacturing.

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/325petrochem.html

ribeyedsmile

egg yolk is an interesting binder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Make you own binder medium’ is closed to new replies.