Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art "Girl With a Pearl Earring" copy – MI

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    asdo

8 1/2 x 11in oil on paper

This is my first attempt at painting a portrait (or tronie in this case) and I love Vermeer so this was an obvious, although not very original, choice to start with. I painted it at a smaller scale, and used multiple photos for references. It’s painted with multiple glazes and layers.

raking light…

This pic shows the scale. The painting is taped to the back of a Monet book. :rolleyes:

C&C Welcome

Instagram > DarkGlobeStudio

asdo

Naturally, as soon as I think I’m done, I see all sorts of things I need to fix. I ended up fiddling with the white collar, did some knife work on the head-wrap and shawl, added another glaze of black on the blue of the head scarf, etc…

Of course this all led into painting the cracks that are visible on the original. I suppose I should probably stop now…:rolleyes:

C&C Welcome

asdo

almost there…

C&C Welcome

Raichu

Amazing work. Congratulations.
                    But one thing has me worried – is that a cracked on the second post, on her forehead? What happened?

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

asdo

Amazing work. Congratulations.
                        But one thing has me worried – is that a cracked on the second post, on her forehead? What happened?

No worries there. I painted some of the cracking you can see on the original. A bit on her face, the white collar and shawl, and some on the blue head scarf. :)

C&C Welcome

Raichu

Man, the detail you’ve put into this work… it’s mindblowing.
                            Again, an admirable painting!

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

asdo

Man, the detail you’ve put into this work… it’s mindblowing.
                                Again, an admirable painting!

Thanks Raichu :)

C&C Welcome

Cinelli

Beautiful work! Well done.

Alison2

Amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Alison:wave:

talisman

I’ve seen so many copies of this painting over the years but this is one of the best I have seen, remarkable!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                            C and C always welcome.
                                            My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.