WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#2461   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Hails from Canada
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Oh nice pencils Tina I have their watercolor crayons. Love them. I have two sets 10 and 30 colors. hehe they were half price at one store near by. So I couldn't help myself

That Markers set look cool too Robert. I will eventually buy a set of them. I have a feeling they will be lovely in art journal.

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away"
  #2462   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Which store is it, and is it still on sale? And do you like your brand(s) of watercolor crayons? I'm thinking of picking up a Lyra set.
  #2463   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 PM

Hails from Canada

It was local small stationery store (Montreal). I think they will close down so they sell out inventory. I have another set from some generic company but I dont like it much. Caran d'arche they are nice and they dilute well in water

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away"
  #2464   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

LOL Cat1lady! No, Ari came with me, he's just there for scale and as the equivalent of the pretty girl on a car hood. Got him all by himself as a six week old photogenic kitten who fit in the palm of one hand. 24 hours later he became a high speed destructive squeaking blur rocketing up and down and all over everything in my apartment, but grew up into a very considerate cat.

Two warnings about the Winsor & Newton Watercolour Markers Travel Set, one about the markers and one about the travel case.

Markers: when I pulled the pointy cap off the bullet tip of IVory Black once, I pulled it wrong and the entire point came out. I held the barrel right side up and managed to snap it back into place properly in two tries. It worked right after that but it's possible to disassemble if you uncap it wrong.

Travel Case: Do not ever put the markers in pointy end down! The pointy cap will get stuck in the pocket and take ten minutes jiggling with needle nose pliers to fiddle it out again. I did that to myself twice. I'm learning to keep them pointy end up even if I'm more likely to use the brush tip. I don't know why the brush tip cap is shaped like a blunt tip and the bullet tip is shaped like a brush tip, it's counter intuitive.

They do work really great for journaling otherwise and that case is seriously voluminous. I could easily put a large or small Moleskine watercolor journal in with everything or an Arches travel journal or any number of smallish journals, but not my 7" square Stillman & Birn ones. It's got enough space to put in a lot of other supplies and use it as an inclusive case. Thinking of adding a six pack of Derwent watercolor pencils and a spare Niji waterbrush to complete it. They'd combine well with other water mediums or anything else.

I've got two Zeta pages done with them in my Rob's 2014 Sketches thread but I'll repost today's here:

Life Sketches in Winsor & Newton Watercolour Marker
7" square, on Stillman & Birn Zeta journal smooth 180lb watercolor paper.

Oh heck why not the blue page too, the blue page came out really good, best pen wash scene I've done.

The bullet tip has a heavy but clean line, it's easy to get an expressive line with it. It's new so I haven't mashed it down with pressure but it's a very nice bullet tip like a Sharpie - but archival watercolor that washes out to artist grade watercolor. Both of them I played with washing out and they are much more flexible for that. They handle like Pitt Artist Pens Big Brush.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting