Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Latest commission: Rocky Mountain Blue

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lon Reams

I just finished this piece today after nearly two weeks of work on it. Been away from WC while getting this one done.

11×14 oil on panel. Not really titled yet, so I’m just calling it Rocky Mountain Blue for now. I may let the client name it. Thanks for looking!

asdo

Lucky client! That’s a great painting.

C&C Welcome

Instagram > DarkGlobeStudio

sea dangler

Beautiful painting Lon,your client should be well pleased.
                Dave

Fantastic work!!

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

ronsu18

stark light, beautiful color, even the grasses feel like lonesome cowboys used to finding beauty in the harsh life of the wild blue yonder.

C&C welcome

Fantastic!

Christel

Great composition. I like the way it’s basically three bands of color: blue/cyan and a muted orange/yellow, with a band of dull and dark green to link the two together. This establishes a simplicity in which the details can shine.

And talking about shining, there’s a nice sense of light as well. Very convincing.

Lon Reams

Asdo
                        Dave
                        Thank you! My client picks it up Monday and is very excited to see it.

Jessica, thank you very much!

Ronsu, thank you for the kind compliments. The lighting was tricky in this one.

The sun was directly ahead and the mountains were only lit by ambient light, while now and then a beam broke over a ridge lighting up mists near the tips of the peaks.

The evergreens were mostly in shadow with only their edges catching the light. Nor could I put sunny highlights in the grass, but had to bring out their beauty nonetheless.

It was a challenge, but hopefully my efforts paid off.

Lon Reams

Christel
                            Ochre

Thank you indeed for the comments! Very much appreciated.

TWAdair Art

Great depth. two week is a good amount of time. Do you add any glazing layers? with that kind of detail I’m imaging you allow it dry a few times throughout the course of the painting.

Lon Reams

Great depth. two week is a good amount of time. Do you add any glazing layers? with that kind of detail I’m imaging you allow it dry a few times throughout the course of the painting.

Thank you!

Indeed yes, I actually add a tiny amount of liquin to my entire palette to aid in drying times. (Except mixes that are heavy in umber which need no help to dry quickly 😁 )

And well spotted on the glazing.

I used a little glazing on the mountains to help unify values and create softer shading since there is no direct sunlight that hits this facing side.

I also used several layers of glazing on the line of trees to tone down the highlights around their edges where the sunlight bleeds through. Without it, the light to dark contrasts were too sharp in such a hazy sky.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.