Home Forums Explore Media Photography Photo Equipment and Software camera body and range of lenses

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dick

I want to buy a new camera soon. I’m currently using a Canon PowerShot sx30 is. I’m getting great shots with it but I want something that I can put a long lens on for wildlife photography. Manual and auto options but I’ll probably start with the cheapest manual telephoto I can find. I’m not concerned with brand names though I do like my Canon. Suggestions please!

Dick Hutchings
        Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

Anonymous

My previous cameras were Canon PowerShots – SX40HS and SX60HS.

Last year I upgraded to a Nikon D7500 with the Nikkor 18-300mm lens.

I gotta say that I love my new gear. I too like wildlife photography, along with other outdoor shooting such as flowers and sunrises/sunsets. I also take a lot of macros. My current Nikon camera & lens excels at both. Good specs including a strong burst mode (which I always found essential for wildlife photography), excellent low-light performance, no discernable color cast or fringing, decent MPs. I was going to add a macro lens but found that the Nikkor 18-300mm does so well with closeups that I don’t really need a macro lens.

This camera/lens is much heavier than my PowerShots, and that took some getting used to. But any other decent camera + telephoto lens will be the same. Unless you already have a reasonably sturdy monopod and/or tripod, you may find that you need to upgrade there too.

Not cheap, but far from being really expensive.

I suspect that after you upgrade, you may want to add a top quality photo-editing software to your tool kit.

For me it’s been a slow learning curve, but a fun one. And the more I learn the more I like my camera & lens.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up choosing.

Dick

Thanks for your input but that’s well out of my range. I’m looking in the $500 to $800 range. More on the body and less on the lens. Next year I’ll add a better lens if I still feel the need.

Dick Hutchings

Dick

I’ve been looking at some older models,6 to 12 year old cameras. I can get some pretty decent stuff for my money. I found a D600 Full Frame Body for $500 firm and a Nikon D3200 with extra lenses and accessories for $360. Should I consider any of these? I want to eventually get a super zoom for BIF and wildlife in general but my money is going to Disney this year. Thanks Mickey :-(

Dick Hutchings

Dick

How about this from ebay Nikon D D5100 $159. If anyone has any experience with these I’d love to hear what you think.

Dick Hutchings

Quint

Looks like a good camera for what you want. A DX crop sensor. Here’s a review that has lots of good info:https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

I have an older D7000 that I like a lot.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Dick

Thanks quint.

Dick Hutchings

Dick

Now I’m looking a manual telephoto lenses, around 100 bucks. One of them is fixed 500mm with a 2x teleconvertor. I knows not ideal but I’m on a budget but still want shoot birds and animals from distance.

Someone suggested I’d get better images with a 75-300 kit lens cropped. If that’s true then I’ll just get a kit, t1i through t5i best price I can find.

Dick Hutchings

Dick

I think I’ve made my decision. At least it’s in the cart. Comes with some filters which I’ve been wanting to try though I don’t know which ones it comes with. Just says filter kit. This will be a lot easier to share my photos as it comes with WiFi and NFC. Shoots RAW, another big step for me. The wide angle lens is something I’m looking forward to as well. I want to head to the coast lines and get some nice shots with it. I’m going to think on it tonight but I think this is it.

Canon T6 EOS Rebel DSLR Camera w/ EF-S 18-55mm IS II & 75-300mm III Lens Kit + Accessory Bundle 64GB SDXC Memory + SLR Photo Bag + Wide Angle Lens + 2x Telephoto Lens + Flash + Remote + Tripod

Dick Hutchings

Dick

I pressed the button on a Nikon 5600 with wide and telephoto kit lenses.

Now I can study the manual and watch specific videos while I wait.

Dick Hutchings

Anonymous

Congratulations.

Some impressive specs on that camera. What are the specs on the lenses?

You’ll take (and share with us, I hope) some great photos with your new gear.

Dick

Sorry but after thinking some more, I decided I’m not ready for this and canceled it. I tend to jump from one hobby to the next so I really need to be careful. It’s a lot of money and I’m not sure I’ll still be this hyped a year from now and I don’t want it to sit unused. With that said, I’m going to continue to learn everything about my current camera and focus mainly on composition and manipulation. If I’m still excited 2 months from now, I may make the purchase. The money will be set aside.

Dick Hutchings

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.