Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio First time using larger paper — should I stretch or dont stretch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    m50paul

I just purchased Artist Farbriano watercolor paper that is 22 in” by 30 in” and I have never used larger than an 11 x 15. I have used arches 140Lbs paper and never stretched the paper. So because the paper is 2x larger and 140lbs should I stretch the paper? I was thinking of taping and stapling down the paper to hold in place, good idea?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

C & C Always Welcomed

IMaybe

:wave: Hello. Yes, maybe using tape is good this large, but it does somewhat depend on your painting style, right? If you are comfortable with large washes, or have become painting back to front, you will be comfortable not stretching perhaps. But really, stretching does help you a lot with your work, this large. Maybe you have used a Plexiglas support, in which you can use a really saturated paper, paint loosely—or paint really wet, and while it dries, keep up with the wet to dryness ration, and paint lose to tight? So many ways to paint and use watercolor, really. Depends on what your plan for the result is going to be, and your experience.
            Stretching is not hard, and gives you such a beautiful surface to paint on, easy to control, and you gain experience. Did you know you can wet the backside of a painting, and lay it on your ironing board, and steam iron the rumples out, leaving it flat and ready to frame?
            So many options, Jump right in!

m50paul

Imaybe thanks…. very helpful…. I think I am going to stretch the paper

Paul

C & C Always Welcomed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.