Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Framing pastel boards and canvas boards

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Shirleyag

Hello everyone. I’ve done two oil pastels on hard surfaces. One is on a pastel board and the other is on a canvas board. Do any of you have experience with how to frame these versus paper. I can’t find many examples. Thanks.

terriks

Hi Shirleyag, and welcome to the OP forum at WC! :wave:

I personally have not framed any of my own OP paintings yet, and I have only used various papers as supports. But there are a few of us who have used canvas as well as pastel boards, so perhaps they will weigh in here for you.

I believe the thinking has been to frame these kinds of supports as one would frame an oil on canvas, without adding glass. Then there can be a concern of dust, but you certainly don’t want any glass to touch the OP, so a kind of mat board would have to be added to provide that extra space. But – I could be wrong, so let’s see what others have to add. :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Hi Shirley. I’m assuming that you want to frame your paintings behind glass? If so it’s best to either use a mat board like Terri suggested. A double mat board would be ideal to make sure that the glass doesn’t touch the surface of the painting.

Another option is to use something called spacers. These are thin rectangular long strips of plastic that have an adhesive side. And you can line them up on the inside of your frame/glass. The spacers will create space between the glass and the surface of your painting. I’ve used them before and they are pretty easy. I would search on youtube for some good demo tips. You can find spacers on amazon or even you local frame shop. That’s where I get em.

If you’re not using glass, then a good final fixative will offer some protection, but not full protection like glass will give you.

I frame most of my stuff without glass and use krylon final matte fixative. I will wait about 2 weeks, then spray , and possible double spray . I run my fingers over the surface to make sure no pigment comes up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.