WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:01 PM
western New York

Hails from United States
Re: Art Supply Addicts Anonymous - 2018

Hobby Lobby, there are three within reasonable driving distance of where I work and another one within 1.5 hours.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic.Art
OMGosh!!! How fabulous is that!!

Laura when you're able, love to see all the colours swatched out!

Sure I can do that! I've been making a few watercolour pans of colour a day... It's a labour of love for sure but very time consuming! Also trying to figure out the balance for the recipes (pigment to medium ratios) takes a bit! A few of my first pans of some of the new pigments cracked using my older recipes so I need to figure them out!

Laura
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
LAWSONVILLE, NC

Hails from United States

Argh! You guys owe me a new shirt ! 🙂 I ruined one 'cause I drooled so much ! I got this itsy-bitsy phone , so wandering around on sites is a challenge !
--Rich
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast

A good start of this year for you guys. I will try to mainly use art supplies this year and not buy
We will see how that goes... I do have some QoR watercolours on the way soon. They were out of stock so it will take a couple of more weeks.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2018, 10:24 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

Off the clearence racks the last few days:

Four more 6-pks sets of 15mm (the big ones) Liquitex Acrylic Markers $5.27 each set.

18 full sheets of Mi-Tientes paper for $.08 per sheet.
6 full sheets of Arches 300lb. HP watercolor paper for $1.27 per sheet.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Laura, wow your pigments steal is an incredible bargain. That is a LOT of good pigment. You'll be doing gorgeous watercolors and other paints with that. I'm envious in the extreme, but I don't have the space anyway. Yet. I may well buy some of the Kremer pigments later on when they do my house.

Marksmom, what a great haul! Giant markers, eh? 15mm chisel tips, that's something cool. Going to start doing calligraphy on train cars and things with those? Wish you lived near me. I'd love to see them in action. Get photos! Also great Clearance finds!

Today got my second Blick box of the month, most of it replacements. Big bag of Blick kneaded erasers, will always have a fresh one handy for a while. Nine Tikky mechanical pencils so I can shove one in every pocket and go-bag, since I liked the first one so much and kept putting it somewhere else when I wanted it. So now got a variety of colors. Got Sascha four replacement Pitt pens in colors she chose with one more coming on back order. Got an extra black and two extra white Carb-Othello pastel pencils because the white is getting dangerously short and a black one will be handy on its own without the set.

Got some pencil sharpeners back ordered too... and a set of Irodori watercolors, the green box set with 6 colors, a water brush and black brush nib pen. It looked portable. They look like huge pans intended for use with a hake brush too. If I like them I might get one of the big sets. But that's back ordered, no idea when it'll arrive.

What did arrive was the Portable Painter palette, which I've assembled and filled. I pulled all the colors out of my Winsor & Newton field box which broke a hinge, they fit neatly into the palette. Took me a moment to figure out how the water containers connected with the palette but it's not hard once I knew. That was more just morning fug. The included short brush is size 4 round so that's a good handy size. It just needs me to have a water bottle handy and maybe some kleenex for cleaning out the water dishes once done painting to use it out places. Though I suppose a lot of urban sketchers just use the nearest bathroom and whatever water bottle they're drinking from.

It did fit on my knee, which I'd wondered about. This is really good when it comes to working in a small space or outdoors where I'd like to have my hands free.

Last, and sorry I didn't get a photo when I snapped a pic of the palette, I bought another fountain pen - a Lamy All-Star in Pacific color. It just arrived. Beautiful green cast blue color and the extra fine nib is very smooth. I like it a lot. Very comfortable in the hand, not a skinny pen. Going to have to get some more Monteverde ink in different colors.

Here's a photo of the palette. It's pretty neat, the main thing was "Can it hook over my leg and keep my hands free?" and the answer is Yes.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 01-21-2018 at 01:45 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonihal
I wish to teach myself human anatomy by painting it.

Looking for a sketchbook that will accept

1. Mungyos gallery soft oil pastels
2. Soni Officemate oil-based paint pens
3. Sakura pigma ink markers

Please advise best sketchbooks.

Would Canson Mixed Media be good?

Will is allow me to paint on both sides of paper.

And it is light enough to travel with.

Canson Mixed Media
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/canson...mix-media-pads
The Canson pad you linked to is 138lb paper so it can definitely handle the Oil Pastels and the Pigma Markers on both sides (although I would use glassine between the pages - OPs can wander from page to page via contact).
I've never used the Soni officemates, so I can't speak to them. If they behave like Sharpies, they might be visible from (through) the backside. photon

Last edited by photon : 01-22-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: bad formatting
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2018, 04:14 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Laura, wow your pigments steal is an incredible bargain. That is a LOT of good pigment. You'll be doing gorgeous watercolors and other paints with that. I'm envious in the extreme, but I don't have the space anyway. Yet. I may well buy some of the Kremer pigments later on when they do my house.

Robert,

I highly recommend trying to source a piece of granite counter (an off-cut) and a larger glass muller if you do buy pigments. Glass plates are really fragile and wear out quickly. I got my granite from a company that does counters. They didn't charge me for such a small piece. You will also need the grit powder stuff that you can buy from natural pigments, hardware stores etc.

If making watercolor - buy the finest ground powder you can. It is a pain to grind it more if you don't. Also buy gum arabic in powder form. It's so cheap. If you want to use it to make gouache (highly recommended!) buy chalk powder too

If you don't want to do too much work to mix your own from dry pigments - Kremer does provide pigment dispersions which are pretty much ready to add gum arabic/watercolor medium for a really easy to do your own paint. However - a brave person would only perhaps buy Isopropyl Alcohol to make his or her own dispersed pigment solution.

Laura