WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Re: Devianart?

They will only boost our reach
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Hails from England

I've also got a dA account. I noticed that the more submissions I made, the higher my views, but I'm not good at playing the popularity game, so for me it's just another online place to hang my art. I occasionally submit to a couple of groups, that's it. I tend to just think of it as another place to show my art, where people might decide to go further and look me up via other social media platforms.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Montreal (Canada)

Hails from Canada

i've sold two prints and they're just digital paintings (not my oil paintings).

i'm thinking of making an oil painting gallery (for prints), when people like, they buy.

but the new trend is the patreon thing. artists with a medium to large gathering start making tutorials on patreon and sell them via DA.

patreon seems to be a very good system for that kind of thing (tutorials), maybe it's worth some eye time.

(edit: typo)
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

Deviantart is a good site to store and manage your gallery
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM
West Texas

Hails from United States

I've been on da since 2004 - back when it still had an upload counter on the front page. It used to be much easier then to get your art noticed and be involved just by uploading. People then seemed more genuinely interested in seeing new work and meeting new like minded people. There was a good mix of work but it was mostly pencil drawings then.

I used to live on da it motivated me to draw and post daily along with push myself to new levels. I had so much fun there. At my da's best I posted sketchs and digital drawings sometimes ocs from a game I used to play. My real pride and joys - my oil paintings went unknown. I love traditional media; seems that the majority of people active on da are, as mentioned above, are late teens and interested in mainly digital and gamer work. Manga, mlp, ocs dominated the site these days. Makes me wonder if sheezyart had survived would most internet fantom have stayed there and how would da be today - the same? Anyone remember sheezyart and how you could customize your entire home page?🤞

Anyway, I love traditional work more than digital that's why I shifted my attention here. Da was kinda depressing me. There are some really great artists on there but, in my experience, it's so much harder these days to find them and when you do they've been inactive or post once a year. I join groups but it just seems a little more tricky to get involved and connect with people. Some of my group experience is: people post in groups for views and favs but don't look at others work, rarely comment, slow activity. Seems these days people don't comment like they used to.

No trying to sound trying to sound biase but I n a nutshell it's extremely watered down with posts this becomes arduous to find what you're looking for. It's a great and fun place if you have a group of friends that you bring to the site and post with on there.

Maybe I have been barking up all the wrong trees and have to give it a fresh look. Just seemed so much more fluid in nature back in the day. Light hearted too. So many trolls now everyone's a comedian or boss. 👏🙌

Instagram (Most Active) | DA | Facebook | Tumblr (sketchbook archive) | Youtube
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

I'm on DA and it's a great site, but I've also realized that it's hard to get noticed when you're a sculptor, for instance. The majority of art posted there is 2D digital art and this is by far the most popular. I've had many times that the stuff I uploaded only gets 3 views, (I'm not even talking about likes) which is not really encouraging.

Nevertheless, it's a great gallery to use. Especially when you're core and get to design your pages.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 PM
West Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstyle
I'm on DA and it's a great site, but I've also realized that it's hard to get noticed when you're a sculptor, for instance. The majority of art posted there is 2D digital art and this is by far the most popular. I've had many times that the stuff I uploaded only gets 3 views, (I'm not even talking about likes) which is not really encouraging.

Nevertheless, it's a great gallery to use. Especially when you're core and get to design your pages.

Yeah it's a big shame a lot of great talent and hard work goes ignored there. They flock to the manga a throusand different variations of the same concept. I hate to sound so negative because DA has been so dear to my heart but it's true - it's not what it was. It really seems washed out and clique-ish.

Instagram (Most Active) | DA | Facebook | Tumblr (sketchbook archive) | Youtube
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfoundinside
Yeah it's a big shame a lot of great talent and hard work goes ignored there. They flock to the manga a throusand different variations of the same concept. I hate to sound so negative because DA has been so dear to my heart but it's true - it's not what it was. It really seems washed out and clique-ish.

Well, I do understand it. People click on the thumbnails that has the most 'bling'. And well-made and finished digital paintings are easier to represent well on DA than pictures of something traditional.

But that doesn't mean it's disheartening to see your artwork go by unnoticed. On the other hand: It's also great motivation to work on representation .
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

I have a DA account, but also other sites. It seems that these days, the only people getting any real feedback are the digital manga artists, while the "fine" (traditional) artists go unnoticed. But i don't care... i still post there!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 01:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

It is SO very important to find the right place to sell your art. I mean, it is as important as contacting the correct publisher for a book. All of these places cater to one or another style and/or demographic. That is how they work.

Making art since 1973-ish.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Hails from England

I've now stopped using DA because there are places where I feel I'd be better spending my energy. Plus, I haven't signed in for so long that I've forgotten my log in details, and I CBA to go through the process to retrieve them.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmshood5
I have a DA account, but also other sites. It seems that these days, the only people getting any real feedback are the digital manga artists, while the "fine" (traditional) artists go unnoticed. But i don't care... i still post there!

I agree that it's hard to get feedback, or general comments that gives you the opportunity to start a conversation. That said, I took a look at my page again, and I did get quite a few watchers since the last time. I'm currently at 473 watchers, despite only making traditional art. So, apparently it IS possible to get noticed on that site (but for some reason most of my work still has less then 50 views).

Last edited by freakstyle : 01-16-2018 at 04:28 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM

I've used DA as a source for reference photos from time to time but I had assumed they weren't really "traditional-art friendly" but I guess I was wrong. Hmmm. I may have to look into this.