WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Welcome Forum!
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 AM

Hi! New artist here!

Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to join the community. I am a 40 year old guy from the south who is beginning to dip his toes into visual art. I bought a decent beginner set and have purchased a few more things. Right now, I am just trying out watercolors, acrylics, soft pastels, and oil pastels. I have a few early paintings, but definitely a newbie.

Anyways, I hope to get to know you all and I look forward to learning. Take care!

Regards, mercfredis
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 AM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Hi! New artist here!

Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas!

* We're glad to have you join! People of all levels of artistic experience are welcome here, so make no apologies for being a newbie!

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels.

Find an interesting conversation in the forums, or start a new one, and join in!

To receive comments and critiques from other members, which you may find helpful, include "C & C welcome" within your post or signature line.

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
See you in the forums!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hello mercfredis - welcome.

As you are just starting out I would suggest spending some time either learning to draw or honing your skills. Drawing is at the heart of all art so it is definitely time well spent. If you are just learning to draw we have a free drawing classroom where all the classes are free. You can take what you want and skip things that don't interest you. I would suggest, however, that you spend some time on geometric shapes. They seem pretty basic and perhaps boring, but they will teach you about light and shadow and how to work with it. In addition we have the Drawing and Sketching forum (link in my signature) which may be helpful for inspiration or more. And there are a great many other forums here that deal in more specific subject matter such as the figure, portraiture, marine, animals and wildlife - etc. Should be plenty to interest you. For some reason we do not have a cat forum though ...

Enjoy the journey!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

You'll get lots of help here! I've been doing a lot of watermedia and some watercolor, mostly watercolor with pen work, and soft pastels currently. Oil pastels can be a lot of fun too, they're clean and opaque and bold. It's easy to get good impressionist effects with either soft or oil pastels but realism is possible too.

WetCanvas sometimes seems a little intimidating to new artists but that's because of the vast amount of free lessons and classes available in the materials forums, the subjects forums and the challenges. There's so much help available that it won't be long before even the newest beginner is starting to get good success and slides into that wonderful in-between space where newer people aren't as skilled and yet there's still lots of artists who do breathtaking stuff taking the time to show you how to get the effect you want.

One thing that helps critique is to ask specific questions when requesting it, like "I'm not sure about the shading, how can I improve that?" or "Can I make it look more 3D?" versus just asking for critique. Or things like "How do you get colors to flow into each other in watercolor without that hard little dark line?" It's easier for people to direct you to tutorials and videos, sometimes they'll post a demo right into the thread.

Drawing is a good start, and the drawing and sketching forum has classes that give a complete classical drawing course. One thing that can help your drawing skills grow more quickly is doing timed drawing. Set an egg timer for two minutes or five minutes and try to draw something in that time, stop when it goes off even if it's not done. Then try again with the same subject. You will learn more in five two-minute drawings than in one ten minute drawing, by the end of that sequence you will be able to see how much you've improved just that fast. As opposed to struggling with correcting mistakes it really helps a lot.

That's also a good way to start any serious painting, sketch what's going into it several times very small and simple, just to get used to the subject. Maybe work out the colors in small color sketches too using oil pastels or something that won't allow fine detail but does allow great masses of general color. That kind of planning can help a beginner work way above their actual level of skill just by going through most of the errors in disposable small preliminary sketchbook things.

Colored markers are also good for quick color preliminary drawings, so are watercolor pencils. Those are convenient in a lot of ways. It doesn't take as many of those as regular colored pencils work (though you can use solvents to get the same effect, like turpenoid and so on, with other colored pencils). They're also good for sketching under watercolor because they'll dissolve into the paint and vanish completely. I'd suggest picking up a set of 12 or 24 in a good brand to use for preliminary drawings and as a portable form of watercolor. I use those a lot especially in journals.

You can also get watersoluble graphite pencils, again very good for sketch and wash - get the lines down, then swipe a wet brush over it to create middle tones in the areas you want them. Very fast and powerful sketch medium. If you're not sure about watercolor pencils try a graphite one first. But they're not hard to handle and they do get very useful.

A waterbrush is also handy, like the Niji Waterbrush, there are many different brands. Main thing is that there's a nylon brush with a water reservoir in the handle so the brush is always wet, used with pan watercolors or over watercolor pencils it speeds things up and you don't need to carry water if you're going out to sketch what's not at home. If your oil pastels aren't watersoluble, filling a water brush with Turpenoid or other brand of mineral spirits will let you do the same thing with your oil pastels.

Oh yeah, I love going on about materials, testing them and suggesting them. I've got a ludicrous collection and review art supplies on my blog. There's a thread in Oil Pastels Talk titled Art Supplies Addicts Anonymous, where you can post any new supplies you get, talk about them, hear about sales and new products and deals, drool at other people's new stuff. It's fun.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Welcome to WC!

There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. There are many talented people from many lands.

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames and the friendly members here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library.

The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed!!!

Greggo
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Welcome!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, it's nice to meet you!

You're in the right place for sure. There is so much help and support here. Ask as many questions as you like and enjoy all the forums.

Welcome!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Badin NC USA

Hails from United States

Welcome!!

I am also new myself. I decided to start talking on this site. I am enjoying reading what people post. I hope you enjoy it too!! Jodi
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 AM

What a great welcome! Thank you all so much.

RE: drawing: I cannot draw worth a squirt. I can sketch fair enough, to be the basis of a painting. A wise man once said "You cannot paint what you cannot draw", but I'm sure trying.

RE: materials, I love going on and on about materials as well; I think it is in my newbie instincts to try out many things and talk about the pluses and minuses of them. I have a good spread of what I would call "high-student/low artist" grade materials.

I can't wait to begin sharing art and hopefully getting to know you guys, and learn! I'm currently working on my fourth painting, so if anyone wants to see my very limited portfolio, I would be glad to share.

Thanks again!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercfredis
RE: drawing: I cannot draw worth a squirt. I can sketch fair enough, to be the basis of a painting. A wise man once said "You cannot paint what you cannot draw", but I'm sure trying.
Take a look at this thread which is meant to encourage beginning drawers although it applies to all mediums. Everybody started at the same place - including DaVinci and anyone else you can think of - so take heart and know that you CAN do it if you practice and have the desire. And forget about talent - it isn't all that important. Really ... desire is.