Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #590 – June 5 – June 13

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #590 – June 5 – June 13
        If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list.
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 ..till #26 (If you complete all items on list). Do them in whatever order you wish.
        * Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, then the next hunt will start.
        * Please tell us about your subjects and sketching/painting setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

Scavenger Hunt #590 – June 5 – June 13
        a fruit
        a vegetable
        an appliance
        an art tool
        something with wheels
        something with buttons
        something with a lid
        a bottle
        made of wood
        made of glass
        made from metal
        a flower
        a landscape
        water
        a vehicle
        sunglasses
        related to cooking
        related to plants or gardening
        related to beauty
        related to travel
        pebbles, rocks or boulders
        tree bark
        a treat
        something sticky
        a self portrait
        a figure

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Looks like a great list. Thanks, Joan. Well except for the self portrait. LOL

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
        My website https://jocastilloart.com

Joan T

Hi, Jo!:wave:

1 – a landscape – watercolors

eyepaint

Thanks for the new list, Joan.

I’ll go post a link to this hunt into the previous hunt.

-- EP Moderator for:
                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

Thanks, EP!!!:thumbsup:

2 – rocks – watercolors and ink
                    3 – water

Pine Cone

Joan — Your two landscapes are superb… but are they inside a sketchbook? Is that a centerline? I’m only asking because I thought your stuff was in galleries, and shouldn’t these be on their way there? Or on your wall? They’re gorgeous and beautiful and wild and serene. Thank you for sharing them here!!!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

I forgot to say that your landscapes are super, Joan. Nice work, especially the direct watercolor.

It was beautiful on the porch this morning so sketched in my iPad with ArtRage and the Apple Pencil. About 45 minutes, longer than the pastel sketch.

Number 1, tree bark

Pine Cone

item #1 – related to beauty

the October, 2018, issue of my favorite astronomy magazine, “Astronomy Now” with the stunningly beautiful Andromeda Galaxy gracing the cover[/color]

Just a quick sketch. Wish I’d had more time for this one. Lots and lots of fun to sketch this!!!

Here’s a link to a pic of the real cover on their website…..

https://shop.astronomynow.com/product/an-october-2018/

I haven’t seen the Andromeda Galaxy for a few months, but I’ve seen it once in the past with naked eye, and a couple of times with binoculars.

Of course our eyes can’t gather enough photons to see anything more than a fuzzy gray patch, but it still takes my breath away to see the actual real photons from so far away, and so very long ago. Keeping in mind that a single light-year is about 6 trillion miles, Andromeda is, believe it or not, about 2.5 million light-years away. And it is absolutely gigantic. What’s even more fun is to read that although it’s difficult to measure the size of our own Milky Way galaxy while stuck here inside it, the Gaia Mission is making progress. They’re beginning to think that our Milky Way may be as large as Andromeda :eek:

And it gets better! The Milky Way and Andromeda are heading for a collision in a few billion years :eek: :eek: :eek: They used to think that it might be a glancing pass. But with Gaia’s measurements of proper motion, etc., they’re now able to determine that it will likely be a more direct collision.

Here’s a gorgeous APOD showing a spiral galaxy undergoing a collision with another galaxy:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180523.html

For more gorgeous images of deep space galaxy collisions, you can check Bing (or Google) for [/color]”Arp galaxies.” They’re stunning.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the sketch.

Art Studio app for the downsize and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual pencil, ink, and pastel on virtual sanded pastel paper.

Freehand. No drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

Pine Cone

Jo — Lovely tree, especially the dimensionality of the knots in the trunk, and the lovely shades of green!

Pine Cone, thanks. Your Andromeda is super. Thanks for the info, I’m much to lazy to investigate. Lol

Joan T

Pine Cone – Thanks so much! Yes, these are in a homemade sketchbook. I do show pieces now and then but most of my work never gets frames, and much of it is in sketchbooks and are small. Love your colliding galaxies. It is amazing what is out there.

Jo, thanks! Great texture on the tree bark…love the knots. It looks so real.

4 – vehicle – direct watercolor

Joan, great find for vehicle and well done in the direct format. I like the red of course, too.

I sketched on the porch in the big book with Prismacolor 03 fine line marker/pen. Added a bit of colored pencil.
                                    Number 2, fruit – sour grapes or they would have been all gone.

Pine Cone

Jo — Thanks so much! I’m sorry it was so rushed though 🤕 I was hoping people would get to see the real mighty Andromeda through the first link near the top of my post. That would make up for my poor sketch. It’s truly a magnificent sight!

Your grapes look delicious even if they’re sour. In fact, they made me think of summer, and limeades with lime slices and cherries, and happiness and breezes and hiking — thanks for bringing all those good memories into my day today 😍

Joan — Your tractor sketch is lovely. Beautiful colors and setting. Thanks for the info about your sketchbooks. Are they hard to make? A good graphics house in New York could still make prints for you from that second one. They would have artists who could image it directly from your sketchbook, and then remove the centerline and repair it or “heal” it in Photoshop. Just a thought.

As for Andromeda, it isn’t colliding with us yet, but here is a gorgeous, artistic Hubble image of The Antennae Galaxies” which are colliding. Credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA.

Joan T

Jo, thanks so much. Sorry your grapes were sour, but they were nicely sketched. Sour grapes are so disappointing!

Pine Cone – Thanks! I personally haven’t tried photoshop but a friend who has a frame shop has done prints from my sketchbooks and removed the sewing in the middle and put the sketch back together. Wowza on that photo!!!

Nothing new from me today that fits the hunt. Hopefully I’ll get something done tomorrow. Am heading to Philadelphia with the NYC Urban Sketchers so who knows what I’ll find there. :wave:

Eye

Great sketches guys: Joan, Jo, and PineCone.

I will be away 2-3 days on faculty annual seminar but Tone and the kids are going with me. I hope there will be some breaks for me to sketch things around the resort hotel.

I hope you all have a great sketching time, wherever it may be.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                                                https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.