Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello WetCanvas! Hope all is well

I have a question that hopefully you could give me some guidance with. Up until about 4-5 months ago, I’ve never touched a brush or pencil in my spare time, and ever since I’ve been trying to paint and draw pretty much every weekend and when time permits and I’ve started reading books. Now, I’ve never had any art lessons or tuition so I’ve been trying to improve and watching some YouTube videos.

I have the chance to go to an Atelier for three hours every weekend, which is two hours away for a foundation course which lasts for ten weeks, supposedly aimed at complete beginners and professionals alike – would you say go for it! or, because I’ve still very new and a complete and utter novice when it comes to drawing and painting, is to wait a few years, trying to learn in my home myself? I don’t want to embarrass myself but on the same foot I don’t want to regret not going. Eager to hear your thoughts!

Many Thanks,

Proportional Walnut :wave:

waverley

I would definitely go for it. If the atelier classes are relatively small and the teachers are good professional artists. You can get more help in ten minutes than you can in years of watching videos. Painting is first and foremost a skill that is best learned by having someone give you tips and general rules for approaching the work and a method targeted to your work and by watching someone actually do what you’re trying to learn to do. It’s great to watch videos but a person in the room will be able to show you in a way that a video never can.

Not to mention that constructive critiques will be attuned to where you are, Your strengths and weaknesses and what you’re trying to achieve as well as giving you a sense of current artistic developments. Etc.

of course a lot depends on the teacher but I would definitely give it a try

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.