WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States
Re: November ESP: Shadows

This is why you are the artist. You KNOW that shadow isn't "black"- you know the camera is packing in the dark colours and it only appears black in a photo. You lightened the photo to see what colours were in the shadow ONLY- the rest of the colours were fine, right? So just use the lightened reference on the shadow area, keeping in mind the original colour of the wood and backdrop there, and what you know about using blue and a darker value of your local colour.

We SAY "Paint what you SEE", but this is one of those times where you have to "Paint what you KNOW" instead. Understanding which time is which is all part of the craft.

You're the artist now, Deirdre- paint the painting, not the picture.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Hmmm....artist....trying! I've stuck at it until I'm too tired to do any more! It's getting messy again. I'm working right to our left...and have nowhere near finished...I just want to know if I'm on the right lines!???
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 11-17-2004 at 10:06 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Your values are looking great- right on target. Everything is looking well-formed, and has "3-D-ness". This is how we can say "If the value is right, the colour doesn't matter", because you can see looking at the pic and the painting, the colours are not the same- the pic leans to red/orange, the painting to green/blue. Now you can change that, or not- your preference- your painting.

Pat yourself on the back- you've jumped a good-sized hurdle here getting those values right. Might want to post this in its own thread to see what others think, too.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 02:24 AM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

I can hardly wait for next summer : when I plan to take these monthly lessons and work through the lot of them one after another! Just too busy right now to really pay attention to learning properly.
Thank you again and again for these tutorials!

Meisie (the lurker pastellist )
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 02:40 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Oh Deirdre.....I agree with Julie...you have passed the point of no return!!! now the pressure is on...lol....Seriously...it looks like a light bulb went off...the improvement in your work is impressive....(take a bit of advice from someone who had a bad black/gray habit....Take them out of your collection....I know....it is alot like giving up a security blanket...I went through this pigment withdrawal not long ago....it took me out of my my comfort zone....but the results have been worth it. :claps...

PS..that glass is sparkling!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Julie & Preston...Thank you, thank you, thank you! If I had a tail it would be wagging right now! I just hope I can finish the rest in the same vein...the pressure is on!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images