WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#301   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 11:56 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - April 2015 - Atmospheric Perspective

Blayne, that is beautiful! If you have another piece of stone paper please, please consider keeping te pastel sketch as such and redo it on the other piece to do both versions. I like it as it is! This is gorgeous! Couldd be framed as is. Less is more. Does it NEED to turn into an oil painting? But it's yours, you'll do as you like with it.

Did it! Finished on the last day! Whew! This was a tough month!

Three Colourful Apples
8" x 10"
Rembrandt, Unison and Terry Ludwig pastels
Strathmore Artagain unsanded pastel paper, pale gray
Photo reference by Ivyleaf from RIL

Many thanks to my beloved Kneaded Eraser, which lifted out the cat footprints, tail swipes, my smudges, misplaced strokes and thumb smears of dirty fingers all done more or less between stage 3 and 4. Ari walked on it before I hung it on the wall and my home carer had set a paper bag on it (fortunately not leaking!) so I had to do some invisible tweaky fixes on the background with lifting and stick blending. Lightened the top of the gradient background with near white Ludwigs. Got the details in. Wow. It looks lots better across the room on the wall - I did just mat and frame it to get it safely out of the way!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 04-30-2015 at 11:59 AM.
  #302   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Immortalized

Thank you, Jay! My trees on the left are just roughly sketched in, but helped to fill that area. I still feel there is too much boring pasture land. I have room to crop an inch off the bottom and may do so. And I will tone down that purple mountain. It should be smoky--as in Smoky Mountain?

Thanks a bunch, Robert! At this point, with the messy sketching on this one, it might be better to start a new pastel instead of a new oil painting! I'd have to go to clear gesso to get tooth to cover errors on this. I do have lots of stone paper and just read an article about using oils on it so wanted to try it.

Now to your apples, Robert! They are lovely! And I don't even see a cat hair, much less a footprint, on them! (I can't believe someone would put a grocery bag on top of a painting!) I'm glad the apples survived. They are gorgeous, each with its own personality and individuality. I think I like the furthest one back the best. It looks like the Jonathan type that I love. Your dark reds look red, not black, which I couldn't seem to achieve. You've done a super job on those interesting shadows, too, and I love the background! It's a beautiful painting!
  #303   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! I think you know more about apple breeds than I do. My dark reds from both Unisons and Ludwigs are a big help. The far one I used a deep red and a magenta over violet and then a little bit of light blue glazed over it, didn't use the Ludwigs on it much except around the highlight. Most of those came out of my Unisons 120 half sticks set.

I think what happened was he didn't look at what was there on top of that surface, just saw it was flat with peripheral vision. I didn't think anyone would do that either but then I guess most people are used to putting stuff on magazines and newspapers with pictures, don't assume a peripheral image is an actual painting in progress. As for my cat, he goes wherever he wants and the only real safety is to hang art vertical on the wall.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #304   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Robert...whew! You made it in time, smudges and all! Good for you. The apples are delicious. The shadows are gorgeous!

Don, this was a super Spotlight. Thank you. I learn so much each month. Tapping my foot for tomorrow!!

JAY
  #305   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Blayne, Nice job on the Smoky mountain scene! I'm not sure I would change anything!

Robert, Glad you got the apples in under the deadline! Very nicely done!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #306   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Blayne, think seriously. "Messy" to you may be "Loose and textural" to me and many others. I didn't see any 'messy' in your landscape, doing it over to do the oil painting would rock. But mat and hang this one as it is! Purr!

Jay and Don, thank you! Purr! Made it!

#307   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Immortalized

Robert, I'll try putting a deep red and magenta over violet to see what results I get. Thanks.

Thank you, Don! And thank you for this terrific Spotlight!