Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing No More Paper Towels – What is your solution?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

In many areas one can no longer purchase paper towels. Since we use quite a few in our shared studio, we usually have a dozen or so rolls on hand, but when those are gone, unless the panic buying stops, we won’t be able to replace them.

We have saved a large amount of old cotton clothing over the years that we use for shop rags, so those will likely take the place of the paper towels. Though I have never tried it, I have read here on WC that some folks drop their oil / paint loaded rags into some soapy water at the end of the day, then when there are enough in the bucket, they run them through the washing machine, getting multiple use of the same rags. We are going to try that as well. Please share your plans / experiences in this area if you would care to. I would particularly like to hear from those who wash and re-use rags as to how many uses you get from them plus suggestions on a holding container to get enough to run through the wash.

contumacious

Also please post suggestions for rags used with acrylics. I am guessing you would want to get them into the soapy water before the paint dries in them to get more use out of them before they are too filled with dried acrylic paint.

ntl

Who’s washing machine are you putting oil rags into? Not mine!
                I use old soft paper books–phone books, some insurance or election books, newspapers, to wipe brushes off first, and frequently. Those pages go into a small plastic bag, (I use the bags I bring vegetables home from the store) which when finished for the day goes into a large old metal can. I cover the papers with water and make sure the bag stays OPEN–I use 3-4 clothespins to hold it open. When it’s filled, or when garbage day comes, I make sure the papers are soaked and put it in the garbage.

contumacious

Who’s washing machine are you putting oil rags into? Not mine!
                    I use old soft paper books–phone books, some insurance or election books, newspapers, to wipe brushes off first, and frequently. Those pages go into a small plastic bag, (I use the bags I bring vegetables home from the store) which when finished for the day goes into a large old metal can. I cover the papers with water and make sure the bag stays OPEN–I use 3-4 clothespins to hold it open. When it’s filled, or when garbage day comes, I make sure the papers are soaked and put it in the garbage.

Great idea using old papers, but unfortunately anything less absorbent than a paper towel is not going to work for me. As for using the washing machine, I am not even remotely concerned about the minuscule amounts of non toxic oil paint running through my washing machine. It sees far dirtier stuff on a regular bases, filthy shop overalls, welding shirts and pants and more.

I would prefer to re-use the cloth rags as many times as I can before throwing them away.

bongo

Also please post suggestions for rags used with acrylics. I am guessing you would want to get them into the soapy water before the paint dries in them to get more use out of them before they are too filled with dried acrylic paint.

Paint dries pretty fast – so that might be hard to do. But I’m thinking if you wet the rag first – used a wet rag to wipe your brushes, then at the end of a session placed them in a bucket- or whatever- of soapy water as you suggest – it might work.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                        STUDIOBONGO

kin3

use shop towels, almost the same thing as paper towels.

contumacious

use shop towels, almost the same thing as paper towels.

I love shop towels! I wish they were as cheap as paper towels. I keep two big boxes of them in my studio at all times. I am assuming you are referring to paper based rather than fabric shop towels? The day the regular paper towels were all gone at WallyWorld (and everywhere else), so were the shop towels. Fortunately there were both in stock on Saturday as well as toilet paper!

These are the ones I usually buy rather than the blue ones in a roll.

Not in my washing machine! Oh no. Did that 20 years ago and had to sleep in the dog house after buying my wife a new shirt.

I keep 4 dish towels for acrylics.  Each is used on a daily rotation basis.  Dry acrylic presents no problem.  Oils are a different matter: old T-shirts work great.  I use, during high production, 10 per  week.  Used cloths are tossed into a 5 gallon metal container and the lid is always always on top. This avoids spontaneous combustion.  Used oily t-shirt rags get hung outside in the sunlight until the paint/oil is dry.  These appear to be very colorful baby diapers, and make the neighbors smile. We have no babies in our house, so the psuedo diapers make good conversation starters. :yahoo:

John humber

Would want to avoid using paper towels in the quantities you seem to be suggesting—once contaminated they would be un-recyclable. I use the moist BigWipes (which I think may be what  some here are calling shop towels) to clean my hands. I keep the used ones, they dry out quite quickly and can be used to wipe brushes (acrylic or oil), to apply paint, to ‘blend’ pastel, to wipe up spills, to…etc., etc. True, they are non recyclable, but using them in this way I have a tub of forty that I’m still less than half-way through after almost three years. I also use what in the UK are called dish cloths (about 9″ square of absorbent, loose-weave material). These also will eventually finish up in land-fill, but I bought a packet of six about five years ago and have only thrown one away and still have three clean and untouched. In this time, the amount of paper towels I would have used—and which would also have gone into land-fill—would be vast.

PLEASE how do I make these dreadful yellow things go away? OMG there's even more of the awful things now.

www.instagram.com/john_humber_artist
                                        www.instagram.com/john_petty_letterform

bongo

I would use cloth rags to wipe acrylic paint off brushes but the paint quickly dries and forms a HARD patches of paint on the rags and becomes unusable.  Washing does not eliminate the hard patches of paint.

So I buy the big 4 pack of  paper napkins at Costco and use those.  They also sell packs of the small napkins made for use in the dispensers like you see at fast food places.   I’m thinking about switching to those.

Using napkins is not the most environmentally sound practice – but I use every spec of the napkin before tossing.   It varies with the painting but I would guess on average I use two per painting.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                            STUDIOBONGO

John humber

I would use cloth rags to wipe acrylic paint off brushes but the paint quickly dries and forms a HARD patches of paint on the rags and becomes unusable. Washing does not eliminate the hard patches of paint.

Wash the brush in a pot of water first? Then wipe; less paint, stains but doesn’t harden.

PLEASE how do I make these dreadful yellow things go away? OMG there's even more of the awful things now.

www.instagram.com/john_humber_artist
                                                www.instagram.com/john_petty_letterform

Use t-shirts.

bongo

I do just the opposite.  I wipe the brush off on a paper napkin.- removing most of the paint – then swish it around in tub water (about the size of a coffee can) and wipe it again with the napkin.  This quickly removes enough paint to dip the brush in another color with little or no color contamination.

I’m switching to these napkins – https://www.amazon.com/Recycled-Single-Ply-Luncheon-Napkins-Brown/dp/B00C93AG1E?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

unbleached, recycled. bio-degradable – $10. for 500.   Should easily last for a year’s + worth of painting.

STUDIOBONGO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.