Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone quinacridone violet or dioxazine purple?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    iamdaie

Hi guys..

I think I need a violet in my palette…I love Lucy Willis’s triad of Diox purple…cerulean and yellow ochre…

currently I have change the prussian blie in my palette to indigo and now the indigo is replaced by rowneys permanet mauve… my quest is…should I just stick with dioxazine…or get a quinacridone violet? would quinacridone violet be a more flexible colour? or Mauve is better? I appreciate your help..

note…My blues are ultramarine, cerulean and cobalt blue
        qnd my reds are pv19 primary red magenta n perylene maroon

iamdaie

Quinacridone Violet is actually a Magenta. Magenta can mix beautiful mauves and violets when mixed with any of the blues you have while the Dioxazine Violet is just a a violet. Not that is not a good mixing colour but is not so versatile as magenta. Mix for instance Q. Magenta with Prussian blue to see what you are going to get. ( and the rest of your blues too).
            I would kept the Prussian Blue but I wouldn’t either remove the Indigo. Prussian is an essential blue for mixing greens too ( mix it with your yellows, your ochre and your R. Sienna to see what you’re going to get) while Indigo is a great darkener and the perfect complimentary/match of Burnt Umber. Put them side by side to see what I’m talking about. :)

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Feb-2018/2050638-IMG_20180225_114026.jpg[/IMG]

What a nice swatch is this!!! I wish I knew the way to make one like this my self.
            From this set of colours the less essential colours are IMO ( with capital letters ok.. your opinion is as good a mine :) )the Venetian Red and the Naples Yellow. Both are way too opaque and are hues that you can mix and in a more transparent version.

iamdaie

marliana,

this was done using microsoft word…

use the ‘table’ tools…pretty much straight forward and user frenly

I have tried mixing pv19 rose and ultramarine….and prussian blue with yellows…but the result was somehow not that to my liking…

now with the prussian blue removed i depend much on ultramarine and green gold…And I love it!

iamdaie

so I wondered is pv 19 quinacridone violet much different that quinacridonwe rose…and thr it would be more useful and flexible than dioxazine…

marliana,

this was done using microsoft word…

use the ‘table’ tools…pretty much straight forward and user frenly

I’ll give it a try. Thank you for the information :)

I have tried mixing pv19 rose and ultramarine….and prussian blue with yellows…but the result was somehow not that to my liking…

Mix PV19 with prussian and you’ll see yourself what you are going to get.

now with the prussian blue removed i depend much on ultramarine and green gold…And I love it!

Prussian mixed with PY129 gives a very nice sap like green. Ultramarine with PY129 is one of my favorite mixes either. I like soooo much the green that these colours mix. :heart:

In any case Prussian is in my opinion a very useful colour for mixing purples and greens.

so I wondered is pv 19 quinacridone violet much different that quinacridonwe rose…and thr it would be more useful and flexible than dioxazine…

The PV19 I Q.Rose looks different than the PV19 II the red violet one.
                    The first is a deep rose the second is a Magenta and a very lightfast one. It is said that it is more lightfast than the PR122 Magenta.
                    In any case Magenta is a primary colour ( especially in typography). It is very versatile and you can use it on countless combinations with other colours.

Personally I have removed Q.Rose from my palette. I prefer to mix a similar colour with the PV19 Magenta and Cobalt Violet PV14 because their mix looks prettier and more natural than the one of the Q. Rose. The pink/rose they give doesn’t look so artificial.

FrankM

My experience with violet for fodder: I bought a tube of ultramarine violet (PB29 by Maimeriblu). I found it was not deep or dark enough for me.

I moved to Carbazole Violet (PV23 by Daniel Smith), and it is intense. Very dark out of the tube, and it allows me the range of strength I was looking for.

To bring this to your question – I offer this to help you think through the pigments you’re evaluating. What do you intend to do with your violet? That will help direct you in your search.

Cheers!
                        Frank

FrankM

Cyntada

PV14/15/16 are all rather weak to me; useful but more standalone pigments vs. workhorse power mixers. If you need a useful mixer, a magenta would fit the bill better than PV23 as Marialena explained.

PV19 violet is definitely different that PV19 rose! I find the rose a better overall mixer (compare it with the magenta ink in your printer); the violet PV19 is also useful. It depends some on what is already in your palette. With your current lineup, a red-violet would add some range on the cool-red side of the color wheel and give you options for purples built from all your blues.

If you just want to have purple ready to go without mixing, stay with PV23 for its depth and gorgeous hue.

CK =)
                            I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                            DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
                            iamdaie

hi..

made up my mind…I will stick with dioxazine purple..

PV14/15/16 are all rather weak to me; useful but more standalone pigments vs. workhorse power mixers.[…]

I agree but they have some unique hues that you can’t imitate them otherwise.
                                I recently figure out how to mix fantastic skin tones with Cobalt Violet by mixing it with tiny touches of Y. Ochre, R.Umber and other earth colours, depending of course the skin hue I need.
                                And if I mix it with PV19 violet, it gives a fantastic rose that doesn’t look so strong neither so artificially intense bright as the Q.Rose. It is easier to brighten up the Cobalt Violet, than mute the Q. Rose. Give it a try, make some swatches to see what I’m talking about. ( there is no point to scan swatches because the scans don’t give accurate hues. You know…:)).

iamdaie

well…actually…I went to an art shop just now to get me self a full pan of st petersberg quinacrodone lilac…but the m graham n white nights color charts shows that the color is almost identical..perhaps i am being overstating…got a kuretake waterbrush instead..

well…actually…I went to an art shop just now to get me self a full pan of st petersberg quinacrodone lilac…but the m graham n white nights color charts shows that the color is almost identical..perhaps i am being overstating…got a kuretake waterbrush instead..

A bit irrelevant with your initial intention.:lol:
                                    Question. In what language is your signature?

iamdaie

answer. its in malay language.

do u want to know what it means?

well….the only thing that is irrelevant was the price…for a plastic thingy..

iamdaie
                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.