Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Search for:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which three watercolour papers do you prefer?
Ampersand 9 2.15%
Arches 303 72.49%
Bockingford 36 8.61%
Canson Montval 35 8.37%
Cotman 6 1.44%
Fabriano 175 41.87%
Kilimanjaro 29 6.94%
Lanaquarelle 24 5.74%
Magnani 2 0.48%
Richeson 6 1.44%
Saunders Waterford 106 25.36%
Strathmore 53 12.68%
Twinrocker 13 3.11%
Velke Losiny 2 0.48%
Winsor Newton 22 5.26%
Yupo 19 4.55%
Other 51 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
  #121   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Re: Watercolour paper poll

OK, NOT 3 years old! I need to get the ole grey matter working a bit better...
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by GoldSeven
I really wonder what I'm doing wrong with Arches. I simply can't work on it. It feels like painting on a T-shirt for me. I can't draw colour out with water on Arches for the life of me.

For vivid colours and great handling, I've fallen on Canson Montval.

You aren't alone! I used fabriano hp & lanquarelle & Strathmore Aquarius for a long time, until I tried the montval student paper--what huge difference! You just simply can't scrub this paper, as you will damage it, and of course, don't NEED to scrub it, as most colors will lift off with only slight water agitation. The only thing I have found slightly better is Richeson Studio paper, which is almost identical, however, gives even more blooms and special effects. I still use fabriano hp some. I have used both saunders Waterford & Kilimanjaro and found them to both hold color too strongly, making wet into wet techniques no fun, lifting and blending much harder than it needs to be. Blooms just aren't happenin.
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario
Hails from Canada

Originally Posted by CharM
I use Arches 140# cold pressed or rough. I like both the natural white and and their bright white. I prefer rough for most of my paintings because I like the deep tooth that allows for lots of texture. It seems to dry more slowly, also. Either the cold pressed or rough are great all purpose papers that can take a lot of abuse.

I use Saunders Waterford 200# cold pressed paper. The Centre where I teach watercolour orders this paper for our Students. It's really nice because it doesn't buckle easily. However, I'm not as much a fan of the creamy warm white colour of the paper.

I use Curry's 200# cold pressed paper, also. I think that it's manufactured by Saunders Waterford as it behaves and looks very similar.

I have a wonderful little Stonehenge pad that's velvety in texture, similar to hot press, but not quite as slick. It's great for quick sketches.

I have played with Terra Skin, which is a synthetic *paper* manufactured from pulverized stone. Yes, you read that correctly. It's considered a *green* product. It is bright white with a very slick surface that's similar to yupo but has a little more drag when you run your brush over it. You couldn't glaze anything on it even if you wanted to and colour lifts back to white very easily.

Since I participated in this poll the first time around, my choices have changed and expanded.

I bought 100 sheets of Fabriano Artistico 140# cold pressed paper because it was on sale for $2.93 per sheet. Since I offer this paper to my Home Students at my cost, it was a no brainer.

But, what I found was that it has a lovely moderate tooth, a slick surface that lifts easily and a soft texture. After introducing it to my Students, they also have come to love it.

I was able to order a sample of GarzaPapel, handmade watercolour paper, that has three different surfaces. It's a beautiful, beautiful paper. Albeit, it's expensive... but I use it to create Gift Cards in 5x7" suitable for framing.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies[/i]